Updates to IC's Diversity Initiatives
Interim chief diversity officer Dr. Roger Richardson provided the following updates to the campus community regarding the college’s diversity initiatives. For the latest news and updates, visit ithaca.edu/diversity.
- A safe space for ALANA students will be made available in the Campus Center this fall.
- A satellite public safety office will open in the Campus Center this fall.
- The Office of Public Safety is testing several brands of body worn cameras. A policy for their implementation needs to be established and finalized prior to fall 2016 implementation.
- Three firms submitted proposals to conduct an external review of the Office of Public Safety. The external review is anticipated to occur during the 2016–17 academic year.
- Consultants from Rankin and Associates facilitated numerous focus groups in April to help IC build a campus climate survey tool. The survey will be distributed to all faculty, staff, and students in September.
- The ALANA Faculty Working Group has helped ALANA faculty get involved with professional writing support groups. Additional support for travel to professional conferences and workshops relevant to the development of ALANA faculty has also been offered.
- The Office of Human Resources developed and implemented a series of cross-cultural awareness workshops and educational baseline programs for the campus community. Nearly 100 percent of staff has participated.
- New programming has been planned for students as part of the annual Fall Welcome event for first-year students, including the Leadership Academy for student athletes and for all leaders of student organizations.