Ithaca College is replacing Sakai with the Canvas learning management system beginning with the Fall 2021 semester. Data within your Sakai project site(s) will need to be manually moved by the site creator or a maintainer to another platform, such as Microsoft Teams, Microsoft SharePoint, or alternate solutions. If your Sakai project site is no longer needed, it can be archived, self-deleted, or deleted upon request. If you are a maintainer of a Sakai project site but you are not responsible for moving, archiving, or deleting content from the site, you may remove yourself from the site using the Site Info tool.
What do you need to know?
- The deadline to manually move, archive, or delete your Sakai project sites has been extended to October 15.
- All Sakai project sites will become read-only effective August 12.
- All Sakai project sites will be permanently deleted on January 1, 2022.
Moving your project content out of Sakai will be a manual self-initiated process that will need to be completed by the site creator or a maintainer. Content must be migrated or archived to another platform or deleted by October 15.
Updated next steps
- On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, all site creators and maintainers received an email from the IT Service Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) with an updated list of their Sakai project site(s) for review.
- Individuals should identify a person responsible for each project site evaluation. If you are not responsible for the site evaluation and wish to remove yourself from the site, you may do so using the Site Info tool.
- Those responsible for site content should evaluate each Sakai project site and review this article for steps on how to delete, archive, or move content.
- If you no longer wish to receive email notices and have saved all relevant content from your Sakai project site(s), you may delete the project site(s) on your own, request to have your site(s) deleted by replying to the IT Service Desk email, or submit this form to request a site deletion. Before deleting a project site, consult the College’s Record Retention Schedule to ensure that you have retained the necessary data.
Please refer to the LMS Replacement website for the latest updates about the Sakai to Canvas transition. If you have any questions, please reach out to the Information Technology Service Desk for assistance.