Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Chair: Patrick McKeon
Submission Date Meeting Date
August 30, 2021 September 9, 2021
September 13, 2021 September 23, 2021
September 27, 2021 October 7, 2021
October 11, 2021 October 21, 2021
October 25, 2021 November 4, 2021
November 8, 2021 November 18, 2021
November 19, 2021 December 2, 2021
- Standard and Delegated Review Applications MUST be received on the SUBMISSION DATES by 5:00 pm to be reviewed by the committee at the next scheduled meeting.
- Expedited and Exempt Applications may be sent at any time. Committee members have 10 business days to review and respond (in the summer this may vary).
- Send all applications electronically through Axiom Mentor.
- See https://www.ithaca.edu/sponsored-research/institutional-review-board-irb for more information.
Please Note: All in-person research at Ithaca College must follow the current guidelines of the Health and Safety Advisory Group.
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
Chair: Jamie Ellis
Protocols for review at the Tuesday, September 7, 2021, meeting MUST be received by Friday, August 27, 2021, at 5 pm.
- A reminder for all faculty who use any nucleus acids in their research or classes. Federal guidelines now require that anyone that uses any nucleus acids must register with the Biosafety Committee even if the research is at the BSL-1 level. Initial registration requires the following forms: Registration for the Use of Biological Materials, Registration of Experiments/Activities Involving Nucleic Acids, List of Laboratory Personnel, Researcher Experience Form.
- All faculty planning to conduct research or classroom activity involving any kind of nucleic acids, including genomes, plasmids, or short nucleic acid sequences, or any potentially bio-hazardous material, including pathogens, biological toxins, or human cells, tissues, organs, or fluids must obtain prior approval from the Institutional Biosafety Committee before undertaking that activity. This committee provides federally mandated oversight of activities that present a risk of infection or illness in humans.
Please note: Research involving viruses or exposure to pathogenic viruses is not allowed at Ithaca College.
- Faculty who have submitted forms that were approved last year need only to fill out an update form and a new laboratory personnel form.
- Federal guidelines require that applicants possess prior experience with a particular agent or procedure, and those supervising the activity should be familiar with proper safety precautions, procedures involving storage, and disposal. A link to federal guidelines can be found on the Institutional Biosafety website.
- Forms and additional information may also be found on the Biosafety website. Please direct submissions and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Chair: Leann Kanda
Protocols for review at the Wednesday, September 8, 2021, meeting MUST be received by Wednesday, August 25, 2021, at 5 pm.
- Investigators or instructors planning to use vertebrate animals in research and/or teaching should contact the IACUC prior to the start of such activities to determine whether an IACUC-approved animal protocol is needed.
- IACUC will no longer require protocols to be submitted for review and approval via Axiom Mentor. Researchers needing to submit new or renewed protocols should contact Leann Kanda, IACUC Chair, for guidance on protocol format.
- For questions about animal care and use policies, specific reviews, procedures, and all other technical matters, please send an email to email@example.com
NOTE: for all three committees, please remember to keep your Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) certification up-to-date.
- For more information, please visit https://www.ithaca.edu/sponsored-research/collaborative-institutional-training-initiative-citi.