Posted on behalf of Elyse Nepa, Assistant Director of the Clery Act and Prevention Education
Dear Campus Community:
When Howard and Connie Clery advocated for transparency on college campuses after the loss of their daughter, Jeanne, in 1986, they did so to prevent other families from experiencing similar grief and pain. Through their tireless advocacy at the local, state, and national levels, the Clery family called for campuses across the United States to publicly disclose crime statistics and various campus safety policies and procedures. The evolution of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, also known as the Clery Act, has inspired campuses to build and establish partnerships between disciplines to enhance the safety and security of all members of the campus community.
Per the Clery Act, Ithaca College and the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management is responsible for preparing, publishing, and distributing an annual report by October 1 of each year.
Recent and continued amendments to this federal law add provisions relating to specific content found in the publication, including but not limited to the following information which you have a right to know:
- Emergency preparedness, response, and communication
- Crime reporting procedures and statistical disclosures
- Fire safety policies and fire statistics
- Campus safety and security policies and procedures
- Crime prevention education and programming
- Sexual harassment and sexual assault response and education; on and off-campus resources; Students' Bill of Rights; policies and procedures for reporting and handling reports of sexual misconduct
- Alcohol and substance use-related information
- Federal, state, and local alcohol and drug laws
- Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Action Annual Disclosure (Buckley Amendment)
Information on campus safety and security policies and procedures are made publicly available and can be viewed in the linked 2022 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.
Paper copies of the publication are also available upon request. Please direct your requests to the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management by emailing: email@example.com.
Elyse A. Nepa, M.S. Ed.
Assistant Director of the Clery Act & Prevention Education
Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management