intercom home  |  advanced search  |  about intercom  |  alerts  |  faq  |  help  |  rss  

user functions

Log into intercom now

Current Ithaca College community members may contribute stories and comments as well as view additional topics by logging in.

Reset My Password



Sign up to receive a summary of Intercom headlines via e-mail three times a week.

DATE:               September 1, 2012 

RE:                    Faculty and Staff - College Vehicle Use

Faculty and staff who have reason to drive College-owned or rented vehicles must arrange to have their driver record checked once every two (2) academic years and be at least 21 years of age. Students must submit a form annually (once every 12 months). Departments utilizing student drivers must be sure that students are 21 years of age, have submitted a Driver Information Form for approval, complete the mandatory 2 hour driver safety class and pass the test at the conclusion of the class prior to allowing them to drive.  

Class dates and times are posted on the Risk Management website at:  All drivers must have a valid United States driver’s license. 

The Office of Risk Management will notify employees within the next week ONLY if their driver information needs to be renewed this academic year. If you have never submitted a form and expect to drive a College-owned or rented vehicle, you must initiate the process by downloading a form (in Word or pdf format) at and submit the completed and signed form to Risk Management, 319 Peggy Ryan Williams Center, or fax it to 607-274-5717. Otherwise, you will not be permitted to operate a College-owned or rented vehicle. 

The form is used to process an individual’s driver record through the Department of Motor Vehicles. By law, the College’s insurance company is barred from sharing driver violations with Ithaca College. Risk Management will only be advised if a person’s record is “acceptable” or “unacceptable” by the insurance company. Generally, details of moving violations, DUI (driving under the influence), DWI (driving while intoxicated), or suspended/revoked driver’s license are included in your record. The College’s insurance company reviews that data prior to advising Risk Management of whether or not an individual may operate College vehicles based on College policy (please review at If you wish to know the specifics of your personal record, please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles. 

Forms are processed on a first-come, first-served basis, and no one may drive College-owned or rented vehicles prior to final approval. Please plan on 14 business days as the typical length of time from the date the Office of Risk Management receives your form to receipt of the insurance company’s response.   

Only those drivers whose records do NOT meet the College’s insurance company’s standards will be notified. All individual motor vehicle records are considered highly confidential and will only be released on an “as needed basis,” i.e. to a supervisor.

It is also recommended that you review the following sites.

The College Travel Policy:

Motor Vehicle Accident Procedures for business travel:

Thank you for your cooperation.  If you have any questions, please call Risk Management at 4-3285. 



Staff and Faculty Who Need to Drive IC Vehicles - Please read. | 0 Comments |
The following comments are the opinions of the individuals who posted them. They do not necessarily represent the position of Intercom or Ithaca College, and the editors reserve the right to monitor and delete comments that violate College policies.
Refresh view