Recruiting healthy, inactive adults for a study of exercise capacity & physical activity level at Ithaca College. Participants will serve as controls for a grant funded study of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).
Who is eligible?
Healthy, low-active adults between 25 – 70 years
Who is NOT eligible?
- Smoker, or stopped smoking less than 1 year ago
- Pregnant or breast feeding
- Have a metabolic, cardiovascular and/or neuro-immune disease
- Have an orthopedic limitation that prohibits cycle exercise
What must you do?
- Have a short phone conversation to determine eligibility.
- If eligible, meet with our on-campus physician for clearance to participate in the study. During this meeting, urine and a small blood sample will be collected. You will not be charged any fee to be examined by our physician or for the blood and urine tests.
- Complete questionnaires about your health/medical history and physical activity level
- Complete 2 exercise tests on a stationary cycle separated by 24 hours. Each test requires 8-12 minutes of exercise. Blood will be collected before and after each exercise test.
-You will wear an activity monitor wrist watch device for 10 days before and 10 days after the exercise tests.
The total time commitment for participation in this research study is about 5 hours.
For participating, you will receive $200 upon completion of the study. You will get a report of your exercise test results which will include information about your aerobic fitness level and baseline data for starting an exercise program, if you are interested in doing so.
How can you sign up?
For more information or to sign up for this study, contact: Maria Russell at 607-274-7948 or email: MECFSstudy@ithaca.edu