Virtual Meetings in Microsoft Teams - New Features!
Contributed by Lisa Efing-Guida
Microsoft Teams offers virtual meeting opportunities to engage with your teams remotely! As an Ithaca College faculty, staff and student, you have access to a variety of Microsoft Office 365 applications and services including Microsoft Teams, a communication and collaboration platform, with virtual meeting options. Learn more about standard meeting options and how to enable new meeting features below!
Standard Meeting Options
There are a number of options and features available within Teams meetings which include:
- Teams meetings can be created from within Teams directly or through Outlook Calendar, and can be held within a team’s channel if desired.
- Meeting participants can join meetings from any device via a URL or use a phone to dial-in to a Teams meeting. The dial-in number and conference ID are included in the body of a Teams meeting invitation.
- The meeting organizer can configure Meeting options to change participant settings such as who can present during the meeting.
- When in a meeting, participants can enable live captions by clicking the More actions (…) and selecting CC – Turn on live captions.
- When in a meeting, participants can Apply background effects under More actions (…) and apply a background blur, select an available image, or add an IC virtual background.
- When in a meeting, participants can share content such as their desktop or a PowerPoint presentation.
- When in a meeting, participants can invite someone to the meeting while on the call by clicking Show Participants and either typing in a phone number, an IC email address or name, or copying the join information and sending it to someone directly.
- When in a meeting, click More actions (…) and select Meeting notes to take quick notes that are accessible to everyone before, during, and after the meeting.
- When in a meeting, use the Chat to share comments or ask questions and hover over a comment or question to give it a reaction.
- When in a meeting, use the Raise your hand feature to help navigate meeting participation.
- The meeting organizer or presenter can record a Teams meeting when necessary. Recordings can be automatically stored to a channel within the team.
Enabling New Features
Have you heard about the new Teams feature, together mode? Together mode lets you feel like you’re in the same shared space with everyone in a meeting by being placed into one shared background. Together mode and Large gallery (up to 49 video streams) are optional viewing experiences for your virtual Teams meeting.
With Microsoft Teams, new features are constantly being developed and rolled out to Teams users. If you are interested in previewing some of the new meeting features that will be rolled out soon (such as together mode), you can do so by visiting Microsoft Team’s documentation on how to Get a preview of new meeting features.
Contact the Business Productivity team to learn more about Office 365 applications including Microsoft Teams, and how it can enhance your team, unit or department.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Information Technology Service Desk at 607-274-1000, firstname.lastname@example.org, or through live chat at ithaca.edu/itchat.