Countdown to Canvas - LMS Implementation Update #9
Contributed by Jenna Linskens
This week the LMS Implementation Team is wrapping up Phase One, Vision & Planning, and moving into Phase Two, Initial Implementation & Exploring, of the Canvas project. Information on these phases and what is coming soon can be found on the project website.
A significant effort has been put into the migration of course content from Sakai and the first wave is now complete. The team has put together resources and information to help faculty review and use the course content to develop new Fall courses in Canvas. Additional updates on what the team has completed, what they are working on, and what are your next steps are listed below.
What we have done
- Completed Wave 1 of a bulk migration of Sakai course content creating a copy in Canvas; including Fall 2020, Winter 2021, and Spring 2021 academic course sites and provided faculty access to that content.
- Prepared documentation to help faculty use migrated course(s)/content to design Fall 2021 courses, and help faculty use the pre-made course blueprint in their Fall courses.
What we are doing
- Working with our vendor to prepare for Wave 2 of a bulk migration of Sakai course content creating a copy in Canvas; including Summer 2021 academic course sites - to be completed in August. Faculty feedback is encouraged – please email all feedback to the LMS Governance Committee co-chairs (Jenna Linskens & Matt Clauhs).
- Continuing to modify IC’s Canvas platform and prepare for official launch in August 2021. Please continue to teach all summer courses in Sakai.
- Developing documentation, online resources, and curating self-paced learning opportunities for students and faculty; to be shared out with the campus community throughout the summer.
Your next steps
- Review your Fall 2021 course sites automatically created based on what is listed in Homer/Banner. If you see any errors, please email the IT Service Desk (email@example.com)
- Go through the self-paced Canvas Training resources listed in the “Hello Canvas! Faculty Quick Guide” included in Canvas Update #6 email to faculty on May 12.
- Visit the Canvas Resources @ IC course in Canvas. A resource for faculty to get started with Canvas and support during the transition. https://canvas.ithaca.edu/courses/3270/ (Ithaca login required).
- Review your migrated course content in Canvas. Additional information on reviewing your migrated course content and next steps listed below.
If you have any questions, please contact the LMS Implementation Governance Committee co-chairs (Matt Clauhs, Assistant Professor of Music Education firstname.lastname@example.org, or Jenna Linskens, Director, Learning & Innovative Technologies email@example.com). You can also submit feedback/questions through the LMS Campus Inquiry form: http://tinyurl.com/ICCanvasFeedback
The LMS Implementation Committee