A database is a collection of information organized so that a computer program can quickly select desired pieces of information or data. Data is usually organized in fields, records and files. A field is a single piece of information; a record is one complete set of fields; and a file is a collection of records.
Databases can help users:
- Manage contacts, customer, client, and vendor details
- Track inventory, products, and assets
- Access and collaborate with colleagues on project details and associated tasks
- Print invoices, letters and mailing labels
- Produce customized reports