Ithaca College on YouTube
Ithaca College maintains a Director Channel on YouTube. Faculty & Staff interested in posting content should contact their Marketing and Communications representative. Content on YouTube is generally public and embeddable on web pages (with embed capacity). YouTube video is another avenue for publishing short-form videos. We recommend using iTunes U to publish classroom recordings. iTunes U content can be limited to the campus community and provides a greater degree of privacy.
The Ithaca College YouTube channel can accommodate long-form video (up to 1 hour) and HD format video. We have organized content into playlists, similar to iTunes U. Playlists contain related content and can be requested for series videos where applicable. Content is fully searchable and embeddable - these features can, however, be turned off for specific clips.
Encoding for YouTube
YouTube can accept almost any video format for upload, but for most users we have found the following settings give the best results.
- Video Format: H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 preferred
- Size: Original Size of the Video
- Frame Rate: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, or 30 are acceptable.
- Data Rate: Automatic
- Key Frames: Automatic
- Frame Reordering: Unchecked
- Audio Format: AAC, 41000 khz
- Encoding Strategy for Audio: Constant Bit Rate
- Check "Prepare for Internet Streaming" with the "Fast Start" option selected
- Maximum length: 60 minutes (we recommend five minutes or less for most instructional purposes)*
- Maximum file size: 2 GB*
* Other accounts may be limited to ten minutes / 1GB. The Ithaca College YouTube channel can accommodate 60 minutes.