Mission, Values, Goals, and Outcomes
Developing exemplary music educators who are committed to serving others for the betterment of self and society.
PROGRAM VALUES AND GOALS:
Diversity & Breadth
- Provide choice and flexibility to pursue multiple types of music education experiences
- Prepare students with an integrated experience of diversity, technology, and emerging practice
- Recruit and value students and faculty with diverse musical backgrounds
Leadership & Innovation
- Prepare students to advance the profession through innovative teaching practices
- Nurture critical and creative thinking
- Foster reflective practitioners who grow throughout their careers
Expansion & Engagement
- Facilitate and encourage students’ life-long and life-wide involvement in music teaching and learning
- Promote and support community music engagement
- Equip students with the knowledge and skills to advocate music for music’s sake
Musicianship & Pedagogy
- Develop exemplary teachers and musicians
- Inspire creative and contextualized teaching and assessing
- Further students’ understanding of child and adolescent development and learning
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education graduate demonstrates a rich and thorough understanding of content and skill knowledge (processes of creating, performing, and describing), theories, and issues comprising the discipline (proficiency in performance/musicianship, conducting, and rehearsing), including an understanding of cognitive, physical, and social development.
Planning and Instruction/Implementation:
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education graduate plans and implements effective, developmentally appropriate (intellectually, physically, socially, and psychologically) lessons and curricula based upon sound principles of content knowledge, skill development, and pedagogy. The graduate implements the National Standards in Music Education and uses appropriate materials and strategies to develop students’ critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills.
Positive Learning Environment:
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education graduate creates safe, healthy, dynamic, and motivational learning environments that encourage every student to meet standards, to develop independence, to become actively involved, and to trust, take risks, and collaborate.
Diversity: The Bachelor of Music in Music Education graduate demonstrates and celebrates a foundational knowledge of the unique nature, abilities, cultures, and characteristics of all learners, including literacy and second language acquisition, and is able to modify instruction so everyone can be successful. The graduate also believes that all students can and should have rich and diverse musical experiences and is committed to teach music in a diverse society to all people regardless of individual difference or ability.
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education graduate effectively utilizes technology to enhance students’ learning and professional growth.
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education graduate develops and utilizes a variety of assessment approaches designed to evaluate student learning and performance, encourages student reflection and self-evaluation, provides feedback, and shapes future lesson planning and curricula.
Collaboration and Outreach:
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education graduate fosters positive relationships and collaborates with a variety of target groups (e.g. students, colleagues, families, local community members, etc.) in order to promote and enhance partnerships within the learning environment.
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education graduate continually seeks to expand knowledge and improve effectiveness as a teacher, to make positive professional contributions, and to exhibit the professional disposition of an emerging teacher. The graduate reflects on teaching, students’ performance, and developments in the field to extend knowledge and refine a personal philosophy of music education