WINNER IN THE COLLEGE/PRO COMPOSER CATEGORY
The winner received a prize of $300 and a performance/recording of their piece with guest artist Tony Kadleck on our March 8th, 2016 concert:
- “For the Rise of a New Day” by Cassio Vianna of Greeley, CO
HONORABLE MENTION IN THE COLLEGE/PRO COMPOSER
We also performed these three pieces on our concert with Tony:
- "La Apertura De Las Semillas" by Bryan Stark of Denton, TX
- “Metroliner” by Rick Hirsch of State College, PA
- "Pearls of the Tartar” by John Lake of Brooklyn, NY
CO-WINNERS IN THE HIGH SCHOOL COMPOSER
The winners EVENLY SPLIT the $150 prize and both received a performance/recording of their piece with guest artist Tony Kadleck on our March 8th concert:
- "Cross Streets" by Ethan Moffitt of Glendale, CA
- "No Thanks" by Mark Ninmer, of Taylorville, IL
HONORABLE MENTION IN THE HIGH SCHOOL COMPOSER CATEGORY
- Zapamietac by Matthew Slazik of Tully, NY
- Septenarian by Reagan Casteel of Old Hickory, TN
- Tiffany Lamp by Evan Wright of Temple City, CA
1st place winner in the pro/college composer category, awarded the $500 prize:
- MIRAGE by Rick Hirsch of State College, PA
2nd place winner in the pro/college composer category (will also be performed on the concert):
- VISTA HERMOSA by Remy Le Boeuf of Brooklyn, NY
Honorable mention in the pro/college composer category (in alphabetical order):
- KAIROS by Gabe Condon, of Penfield, NY
- IT WAS WHISPERED by Earl McDonald of Mansfield Center, CT
- CYAN THREAD by Jessika Smith of Eugene, OR
- RIO VERMELHO by Cassio Vianna of Greeley, CO
1st place winner in the high school composer category, awarded the $200 prize:
- FLYING COLORS by Mark Ninmer of Taylorville, IL
Honorable mention in the high school composer category (in alphabetical order):
- PRETZEL STAND by Satchel Fisher of West Stockbridge, MA
- DIMORIUM by Francis Judilla of Henderson, NV
- DON’T MESS WITH MY GROOVE by William Steidl of Cape Elizabeth, ME
Video of "Mirage" composed by 2014-15 contest Rick Hirsch, performed by the IC Jazz Ensemble with guest artist Rudresh Mahanthappa:
College/pro composer category:
2013 CO-WINNER: Trixie's Little Girl, by Pete McGuinness of Brooklyn, New York
2013 CO-WINNER: Soft Glow, Sharp Edges by David von Kampen of Lincoln, Nebraska
2013 HONORABLE MENTION: Existentialism, by Devin Thomas of Pacoima, California
High school composer category:
No winner awarded.
2013 HONORABLE MENTION: Gato El Gato, by Lauren Corey of Owego, NY
In 2012, we added a new category for high school aged composers, therefore there are winners and runners-up in both. The winning pieces in both categories and runners-up in the college/pro category were performed by guest artist Terell Stafford along with the Ithaca College Jazz Ensemble on December 7th, 2012 (video of full concert).
College/Pro composer category:
2012 WINNER: ROLO TOMASSI by Alex Lee-Clark of Jamaica Plain, MA who is awarded the $200 prize.
2012 RUNNER-UP: SUSURRUS by Christopher Schmitz of Winfield, KS.
2012 RUNNER-UP: ACROSS THE THRESHOLD by Vladimir Nikolov of Skopje, Republic of Macedonia.
High School composer category:
2012 WINNER: SKETCH by Jeric Rocamora of Roseville, CA, who is awarded the $100 prize.
2012 RUNNER-UP: BAD MONKEY by Chase Christensen of Kearney, NE.
2011 Winner: "Loot" composed by Adam Bartczak of Denver, Colorado, which was performed by the IC Jazz Ensemble on December 9th, 2011 in Ford Hall at the Ithaca College School of Music.
Three additional pieces were awarded the title of "Honorable Mention." Those compositions are:
2011 Honorable Mention: "Faith Autopsy" by Earl MacDonald of Mansfield Center, Connecticut
2011 Honorable Mention: "Like Kenny" by Nicola Corso of Campobasso, Italy
2011 Honorable Mention: "Sadi Sati" by Vladimir Nikolov of Skopje, Macedonia
2010 WINNER: "Transcen-Dance" composed by Michael Conrad of Cedar Falls, IA, which was performed by the Ithaca College Jazz Ensemble on Sunday April 18th, 2010 in Ford Hall Auditorium in the Whalen Center for Music. It is now published by eJazzLines' Jazz Lines Publications:
Two additional pieces were awarded the title of "Honorable Mention." Those compositions are:
2010 HONORABLE MENTION: Sorted Sort of Fellow, by Earl MacDonald of Mansfield Center, CT
2010 HONORABLE MENTION: And When It Rains, by Omar Thomas of Somerville, MA