Frequently Asked Questions

How do I respond to a subpoena for records?

  • Give the subpoena for records to your department supervisor.
  • Department supervisors should collect any requested documentation in their department's possession.
  • The department supervisor must then review the materials and forward the subpoena and all related documents, along with relevant background information, to the Office of the General Counsel. Documents should be sent to Phil Garin in an envelope marked "confidential," and electronic materials should be sent to

Does the Office of the General Counsel provide legal advice on personal matters to members of the campus community?

  • We do not provide personal legal consultations or services for the College's staff, faculty, or students.
  • Faculty and staff can contact ENI Life Enhancement Services, the College's employee assistance provider, at 800-EAP-CALL (800-327-2255).
  • Also check out the New York State Bar Association's lawyer referral page.

Where can I find information about copyright and fair use?

Does the Office of the General Counsel review policy revisions before making the changes on the policy manual website?

  • The Office of the General Counsel does not conduct a legal review of revisions received through the Policy Revision Submission Form. Policy revisions are presumed to have been vetted by the appropriate constituencies before being submitted.
  • If your department would like the General Counsel to review proposed revisions before they are submitted for publishing, please contact us.