For Faculty and Staff

Independent International Travel

For Employees Traveling Abroad (without students) on College Business

Please take into consideration, the following suggestions:

  1. Consult the U.S .State Department Web-site ( for country-specific information, travel warnings, travel alerts, and visa requirements.
  2. Avoid destinations under a U.S. State Department Travel Warning.
  3. Make sure that you have a valid passport that is good for at least an additional six months.
  4. Register your trip with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (
  5. Pack prescription medications in their original containers. Consult the Center for Disease Control for information on health matters of import to the traveler at your destination abroad (
  6. Purchase HTH insurance through the Office of International Programs. This insurance coverage is very helpful should you fall ill or need evacuation from overseas.
  7. File your itinerary and contact information abroad with your department chair and dean, just in case.