Employment with an International Organization

A bona fide F-1 student who has been offered employment by an entity recognized through the International Organization Immunities Act, must apply for advance authorization by the DHS. The student must follow the application procedure for OPT and submit the petition to the local DHS Center.

Two things to watch for:

  1. In item 16 of Form I-765, the student should enter the code (C) (3) (ii)
  2. The student should submit written certification from the international organization that the employment is within the scope of the organization’s sponsorship.

The employment can begin only after the student receives the EAD card.