In order to maintain lawful student status, please make sure you follow these guidelines:
- Keep your passport valid at all times
- Enroll as a Full Time Student in the school you are authorized to attend.
- Pursue a full course of study (full-time enrollment, which is a minimum of 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students) every semester
- Meet with an Ithaca College DSO and obtain written permission prior to dropping below full-time enrollment. Please note: there are only 3 Designated School Officials (DSOs) at Ithaca College: Dr. Tanya Saunders, Diana Dimitrova, and Rachel Cullenen. These three individuals are the only people on campus who can provide you with information and advice regarding your immigration status.
- Report your current local (Ithaca) address and phone number and visa and passport information to the Office of International Programs
- Notify the Office of International Programs if your local address or passport data changes within 10 days from the change. If you have dependents (spouse and children who are with you in the US), you must report the changes in names, address, and passport information of your dependents as well.
- Follow the immigration procedure for moving from one educational level to another (e.g. from bachelor’s to master’s) and for transferring from one educational institution to another
- Notify an Ithaca College DSO of the completion or termination of your of program of study
- Meet with an Ithaca College DSO prior to taking a Leave of Absence or Study Abroad
- Limit authorized on-campus employment to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session and no more than 40 hours per week during school vacations
- Do not engage in off-campus employment without prior authorization and immigration approval. Working without the appropriate immigration authorization is a major and serious violation of your student status!
- Consult with a DSO and follow the correct authorization procedure for getting authorization to participate in an internship.