The Office of New Student and Transition Programs employs 100 Orientation Leaders (OLs) who work closely with the Associate Director to support our new students (first-year and transfer) and their families during their transition to Ithaca College. We are looking for a comprehensive team of leaders who demonstrate skills in the following areas to become members of this enthusiastic and resourceful group.
- Guide and welcome new students, families, and guests to Ithaca College.
- Assist with all aspects of Fall Orientation including, but not limited to, orientation prep, escorting students/families and guests around campus, event set-up/tear down, participation in meals and evening activities, crisis response, and other duties as assigned.
- Facilitating and effectively managing small group discussions with incoming students including resource sharing, supporting students through their transition to college, self-identity exploration, etc.
- Creating a welcoming and inclusive environment by articulating and exemplifying Ithaca College’s academic and community expectations, addressing common transition questions, discussing what it means to be part of a diverse community, and modeling an exploration of self/social identities.
- Being a responsible and positive peer mentor to new students, understanding that this relationship continues into the semester and has a significant impact on a student’s IC experience.
- Educating incoming students on academic planning information and resources.
- Introducing students to campus support services and locations across campus, as well as social, emotional, and academic resources provided by the college.
- Adhere to the Office of New Student & Transition Programs employment policies, the Student Conduct Code, and all national, state, and local laws throughout the duration of your employment.
All candidates must be
- In good judicial standing.
- Have acceptable academic standing (with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 maintained through the spring semester).
- Full-time enrollment as an undergraduate or graduate student at time of hire through Fall 2020.
- All Orientation Staff will receive a comprehensive leadership development training designed to increase knowledge of campus resources, effective communication strategies, leadership tools, and to create a high-functioning, cohesive orientation team.
- Orientation Leaders will be paid an hourly rate of $11.80 over two weeks.
- O-Staff Spring Training: April 18th (*this is required for all new hires)
- O-Staff Fall Training: August 12th (8 am) - August 17th
- Orientation Program: August 18th - August 23rd
- O-Staff cannot work another job during August employment, this includes pre-semester trainings/programs.