FAQs about Passwords and Security Questions
(Also see FAQs about New Account Activation)
What system passwords do NOT change when I change my Netpass password?
- Other miscellaneous services or applications which do not use Netpass for authentication
What system passwords DO change when I change my Netpass password?
- Active Directory
- Emergency Notification System
- EZ Proxy
- IT software downloads
- Technology Renewal
- Web Directory
- Web Profile Manager
- Other miscellaneous Web applications
Why are security questions and a complicated password required?
Many people use a simple password that password "cracking" tools can easily figure out. A more complex password helps protect accounts from being compromised. The security questions are for user convenience, to allow self-service password resets.
What is a "strong" password?
A password that has at least 8 characters containing random letters, numbers and special characters (!, %, *, +, -, ?, _) is very strong and hard to crack. See our password page for specific password requirements, as well as tips for creating a strong password.
How often do Netpass passwords expire?
Students: Once per year
Faculty and Staff: Every 180 days
Reminders are sent to each account owner starting two weeks prior to expiration.
What are the security requirements for departmental and organizational e-mail accounts?
Departmental and organizational e-mail accounts are required to use the stronger password rules, but not security questions. The manager of the account should login to Netpass Manager as themselves to change the password for any account they are are responsible for.
My Mac computer shows a "Keychain" message after I change my password. What should I do?
Generally the message will show options of "Continue Log In," "Create New Keychain," or "Update Keychain Password." The best option is to select Update Keychain Password, and then enter your OLD Netpass password when prompted.
Monday-Thursday: 8am - 5pm
Friday: 8am - 3pm (during the summer through August 11th)
104 Job Hall
What if I can't come to the Service Desk for help with my password?
You have two options:
- Fax the following information to (607) 274-1583, Attn: Service Desk
- Send an email from an alternate e-mail account and include the following information to email@example.com
- Your IC email address
- A photocopy of the ID card (if sending a fax)
- A picture of the ID card (if sending an e-mail)
- The college ID number (which does not always appear clearly on the photocopy/picture of the ID card)
- Your preferred contact method
Within 1 business day of receipt of the above information the Service Desk will reset the security questions for the account and notify you via the contact information provided.