Ithaca College has zero tolerance for acts of workplace violence and takes proactive measure to prevent, identify, and manage behaviors and actions that may threaten the safety of the College community. The procedures of this policy aim to heighten awareness about workplace violence, maintain a safe work environment, and set guidelines to properly respond to violence in the workplace.
Ithaca College consistently strives to maintain a safe work environment that is based on respect within the College community. It is a violation of College Policy for any employee of the College community to engage in threatening or violent behavior while on or in representation of Ithaca College. Violation of the Workplace Violence Policy will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination and/or criminal charges. The College has adopted procedures to enhance workplace safety and respond to employees that engage in acts of threatening or violent behavior.
This policy applies to all Ithaca College employees.
Workplace Violence: Any act on the College campus or while representing the College externally that creates a reasonable perception of intent to threaten safety of self or others or to damage property that belongs to the College or others.
Threat: Any direct or indirect expression of intention to inflict injury or damage to a person or group of people under fear, intimidation, or anticipation of violence
126.96.36.199.1 All Employees
- Successfully complete required prevention training that is provided by the College
- Maintain a safe work environment
- Refrain from making threats and/or violent statements and gestures
- Immediately report suspected acts of violence and/or threatening behavior by others
- Cooperate in College investigations involving acts of violence and/or threatening behavior
188.8.131.52.2 Supervisors and Managers
- Adhere to the responsibilities stated for all employees
- Ensure all employees are made aware of the College’s Workplace violence Policy and Procedure
- Immediately report to the Office of Human Resources and the Office of Public Safety of potential incidents of workplace violence
Any employee involved in or witness to an immediate threat or act of violence is expected, as a condition of employment, to immediately notify at least one of the following:
- Supervisor or manager
- Office of Public Safety: https://www.ithaca.edu/sacl/safety/
- Dial: 607.274.3333
- Office of Human Resources: https://www.ithaca.edu/hr/
- Dial: 607.274.8000
- Employee Assistance Program: Ithaca College Employee Assistance Program
- EthicsPoint: https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/19086/index.html
Questions regarding this policy may be directed to the Office of Human Resources.
Last Updated: June 5, 2018