2.14 Flag Flying Reservation Process
The flagpole is located in the Academic quad adjacent to the display cases just outside of the Campus Center. A display case attached to the flagpole has been erected for the required information sheet accompanying the flag being flown.
The flagpole is meant to be a forum for on-campus organizations to promote education/awareness or express their views via the flying of flags in this location. Ithaca College does not necessarily endorse the flag or the message which the flag is intended to communicate or represent. The College will not regulate the content of the flag being flown. The registered organization/department sponsoring the flag is solely responsible for its content and message. No flag will be flown that violates College policy.
- Reservations will be made through the Campus Center and Event Services Office (located on the main floor of the Campus Center, phone 274-3313).
- Reservations can only be made during the academic year in which the reservation is requested beginning on August 1 each year.
- A “Flag Flying” reservation form must be completed with the Campus Center and Event Services Office at least two weeks prior to the flag being flown. A picture of the flag to be flown must accompany the reservation form.
- Any on-campus organization wishing to fly a flag will need to complete the reservation form and provide all the information requested on the form.
- The flag to be flown must be presented to the Campus Center and Event Services Office staff at least one business day before the flag is to be flown.
- It is preferable that a flag be standard size (4’x6’). The flag cannot be larger than 4’x6’ and must have grommets so that it can be flown properly.
- Flags will remain flying throughout the time period of the reservation (including through the night).
- Flags must be picked up within two (2) business days after the flag has been taken down (i.e. a flag taken down on Friday must be picked up by Tuesday). Flags that have been taken down will be held in the Campus Center and Event Services Office for five business days before being discarded.
- Ithaca College is not responsible for theft or damage to any flags.
- No more than two flags can fly simultaneously on the flagpole.
- Flags will be flown on the flagpole on a first-come, first-served basis. The flag sponsored by the on-campus organization that registers their flag first will be the highest on the flagpole, unless this conflicts with the protocol for flying flags representing other countries. If flags from more than one country are requested to be flown in a manner that violates flag protocols, only the first flag requested will be flown.
- A flag cannot be flown more than one time per semester and for more than one week at a time per semester.
- The American Flag, or any past official American Flags, will not be approved to be flown on this flagpole.
- The Ithaca College Flag will be flown when no other flags are displayed on the flagpole. The Ithaca College Flag is exempt from all reservation policies listed above.
The registered organization/department will be required to supply an 8.5” x 11” information sheet for the glass display case attached to the flagpole containing the following information:
- The name of the sponsoring registered organization/department
- A clear picture of the flag
- A link to an organization/department web page where the rationale for the flag being flown will be listed
- The dates that the flag will be flown
- Name of contact for the registered organization/department
- Name of advisor for the registered organization
- No additional information will be displayed on the sheet in the display case
The information sheet along with the flag will need to be turned in to the Campus Center and Event Services Office 24 hours before the flag is to be flown.
Last Updated: October 1, 2014