Frequently Asked Questions

I am applying for a grant, and may conduct research later on in relation to the grant. I am not sure yet (or am not sure yet just how) the research will be carried out. What do I do?

Granting agencies, particularly those associated with federal programs, may require proof of HSR review.  In cases where research has yet to be designed, a letter from Sponsored Research indicating the pending approval of your protocol should be submitted with the grant application.  As soon as a protocol is reviewed and approved, the researcher should submit approval documentation from the HSR to the granting agency.  Researchers can request a letter of acknowledgement for externally funded research.  The letter will state that the Board has been made aware of the potential for the use of human subjects in the research, and will review the appropriate request for review when and if one is prepared.