Residence Halls and Apartments

In your on-campus room or apartment, you will find at least one recycling bin. 

Recycling in the dorms is easier than ever since Tompkins County has switched to single stream recycling. That means that all paper, cardboard, and containers can be recycled together. However, trash must still be separated and disposed of separately from your recyclables. Remember: Recycling is YOUR responsibility.

  • White paper
  • colored paper
  • Copier bond
  • Computer printouts
  • Letterhead
  • Typing paper
  • Opened mail
  • Fax paper
  • Fliers
  • Posters
  • Non-metallic wrapping paper and greeting cards
  • Manila folders
  • Envelopes
  • Soft-cover books
  • Newspapers
  • Catalogs, magazines, and brochures
  • Notebook paper
  • Telephone books
  • Pamphlets and junk mail
  • Metal cans
  • Aluminum foil
  • Heat-and-serve food pans
  • Glass bottles (all colors)
  • #1-7 plastic containers
  • Milk cartons and drink boxes
  • OCC (cardboard with the wavy middle layer)

You can take your E-Waste to the bins in Area Office:

  • Computers
  • TVs
  • Monitors
  • Rechargeable batteries
  • Compact fluorescent light bulbs
  • Printer cartridges
  • Cordless and cell phones
  • Any other electronics