Off Campus


Bins for garbage and  recycling are provided for the disposal of trash and recycling generated only on campus. Use of trash and recycling containers by persons not residing, or employed in College buildings to dispose of solid waste not generated on campus is prohibited. Such action is considered a theft of service and will result in judicial action and in civil prosecution under Tompkins County Local Laws No. 4 and No.5.

Curbside collection of recycling is a free service in Tompkins County, you must make arrangements for disposing of your trash.

For details and preparation guidelines, please visit the Tompkins County Solid Waste website.

Click here to check when your recycling pick-up date and time are.

Residential Recycling in Tompkins County

Regular curbside pickup is provided county-wide every other week.  Residents are required to recycle:

  • Newspaper
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Metal food and beverage cans
  • Corrugated Cardboard
  • Mixed paper
  • Boxboard
  • #1-#7 plastic bottles
  • Paper Milk & Juice Cartons

 Recycling at the Recycling and Solid Waste Center (RSWC)

If you are living in an off-campus apartment anywhere in Tompkins County you may drop-off recycling at RSWC for FREE!

You may also purchase a permit to pay to dispose of trash at the RSWC.


Residents may bring household electronics to the RSWC (7 am to 3:30 pm Monday through Saturday) including:

  • TVs
  • VCRs
  • Computers and monitors
  • Laptops
  • Peripherals
  • Answering machines
  • Test equipment
  • Electric Typewriters
  • Medical equipment
  • Stereos
  • Radios
  • Cassette, CD, and 8-track players
  • Fax machines
  • Copiers
  • Cell phones
  • Phones and phone systems
  • Communication equipment
  • Pagers

Other Recyclables Accepted at the RSWC:

See TCSW for information on preparation and any limitations.

  • Textiles
  • Tires
  • Yard Waste
  • Scrap metal, appliances without refrigerant, auto batteries
  • Household rechargeable and lithium batteries
  • Fluorescent bulbs

Household Hazardous Waste:

Residents may now dispose of selected hazardous materials at the DEPOT.  To attend a HHW event, residents are required to have a valid facility permit. Residents are encouraged to sign-up in advance by visiting the RSWC office at 122 Commercial Ave. You may also contact the RSWC at 273-4496 to receive a copy of the reservation form.

The 2013 collection dates are:

  • April 20
  • May 18
  • July 20
  • August 17
  • October 19
  • November 16

Refrigerators, Freezers, Air Conditioners, and Dehumidifiers:

All units containing Freon® will be charged a fee to cover the cost of its removal.  Fee is waived if Freon® has been certifiably removed (written certification must be provided).