Residence Life / Student Events
Los Angeles offers a rich variety of events and experiences for ICLA students. The Programs & Services Coordinator works with a team of Resident Assistants to plan outings in Los Angeles that give our students ample opportunities to experience LA's cultural, media and natural attractions throughout the semester.
Some programs and events that students have enjoyed are:
- Universal Studios backlot tour and theme park
- Hiking to the Hollywood sign
- Television tapings, including talk shows, sitcoms and The Price Is Right
- Professional LA sports teams, including the Dodgers, Kings, Lakers, Clippers and Galaxy
- Beach bonfires
- Camping trips
- Volleyball tournament
- Los Angeles AIDS Walk
- Open mic concerts
- Outdoor movie screenings
- Photo scavenger hunts
Resident Assistants in Los Angeles
Each semester, Resident Assistants work with the LA Programs and Services Coordinator in a capacity similar to RAs working on the home campus, with an emphasis on event planning. The RAs must possess excellent communication and organizational skills and be able to work both independently and as team members.
- Attend mandatory training sessions prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Serve as a role model for staff and students both personally and professionally.
- Plan and coordinate on-campus and off-campus events at least twice per month in addition to other required events.
- Promote planned events and programs at least two weeks prior to the events.
- Act as a liaison between the LA Program office and Oakwood Apartment personnel and security offices, particularly in the event of emergency situations.
- Act as an information source for students regarding the Oakwood facility, the surrounding area, and the LA Program.
- Enforce Ithaca College Residential Life rules and regulations, the Ithaca College Student Conduct Code, and the Oakwood House Rules.
- Conduct wellness and outreach rounds with assigned residents.
- Attend Los Angeles RA Orientation and Training (see below for dates) and weekly staff meetings.
- Submit weekly reports to the Programs & Services Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be an Ithaca College student accepted into the Los Angeles Program.
- Fall and spring semester applicants must be registered as full-time during their Los Angeles Program semester.
- Ability to communicate well in group and individual situations.
- Ability to establish rapport with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to evaluate crisis situations and respond appropriately.
RA APPLICATION DEADLINE
Applications and resumes for Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 are due by March 27, 2018.
Resident Assistants receive free room at the Oakwood Apartments. RAs are typically assigned to a private room in a two bedroom apartment and live with two other program participants who share the second room.
- RA training is mandatory.
- Summer 2018 training will be held on Monday, May 21.
- Fall 2018 training will be held on Sunday-Monday, August 12-13.
TO APPLY: Complete the online RA application form by 5pm, Tuesday, March 27, 2018. After submitting your application, email your resumé to Jon Bassinger-Flores at firstname.lastname@example.org. Title your email "ICLA RA Application." Your resumé should be one page and in pdf format.
Interviews will be conducted via Skype or by phone from Monday - Wednesday, April 2-4. Hiring decisions will be emailed on Friday, April 6.