Assisting Students at Risk

How Do I Report a Concern?

Any faculty or staff member of the campus community can report a concern.   Reporting forms are available both in hard copy and on line and will consist of a checklist and an area for anecdotal information.  Completed reporting forms can be faxed to 607-274-1728.

If you are a faculty member

If you have concerns about the well-being of a student, or are concerned about behaviors which negatively affect classroom learning, please contact your Dean's Office to report concerns and to consult about your specific situation.  The Dean's Office will work with faculty and department chairs to assess concerns and to determine what, if any, next steps should be taken, including making contact with the Case manager.

If you are a staff member

You may contact the Case Manager or complete the reporting form.  Completed reporting forms can be faxed to 607-274-1728.

If you are a student

You should speak to a professional staff member such as an academic advisor, residence director, or with the Office of Public Safety about your concern.

Concerns from multiple sources about the same student may be an indicator that the student is having diffculty in many areas of life and may be in need of some assistance. The Case Manager will review reports, look for patterns of behavior, and may gather a group for further consultation to determine an appropriate response or intervention.

Consultation with Counseling and Psychological Services

Faculty, staff and students may call Counseling and Psychological Services at 607-274-3136 to discuss their concerns about a situation or a particular student.  Talking to a counselor may help you:

  • clarify your thoughts and feelings about the student and the situation
  • assess the seriousness of the situation
  • identify appropriate resources
  • find the best way to make a referral

In An Emergency

If the safety of a student or someone in the campus is at stake,


If you are dealing with someone who is extremely disruptive, bizarre or irrational

Call the Office of Public Safety at 607-274-3333.  If you are using an on-campus phone, you may dial 911.

Try to remain calm.  Do not leave the student unattended.

It may be helpful for you to talk to someone if you have had an encounter with a student and you feel distressed as a result.  After the encounter has been resolved, contact Counseling and Psychological Services at 607-274-3136 for personal support.