Join Zoom Meeting (permanent link for every Monday Common Hour). The meeting ID and passcode for the meeting were emailed from firstname.lastname@example.org on 7/1/21.
These synchronous sessions will include short presentations and information sharing before interactive activities and smaller group discussions.
Overall Goals of the Monday Common Hours
Community-building: Giving you a chance to meet and get to know other students outside of class.
Reflection: Thinking about your sense of identity and answering questions like, how do I value college? how will I access advocacy and other resources? how will I communicate with my professors and peers?
Session One: Where/when/how do we feel a sense of belonging? How do we develop an inclusive community?
- Establishing ground rules for discussions: why you should – or shouldn’t - speak up in a room full of strangers; skill-building; listening to understand, and framing I statements
- Setting the stage: how will you approach the next five weeks?
Session Two: How do I value a college education?
- What is your Identity and how will it play a role in your decision to attend college and your successful transition to college?
- Connecting with new people with different identities and perspectives
Session Three: What resources are available at college and how do I access them?
- How do you know when you need help?
- How do you ask for help?
- Why wouldn’t you as for help, based on your personality or identity?
- How do you advocate for yourself?
Session Four: College skill-building: Communicating with professors and peers.
- What’s OK and not OK when communicating with peers and professors in college?
- How might this be different than in high school?
- How and where do you communicate if something is not ok?
- Why wouldn’t you (based on who you are) not say when something is not ok?
- How can you develop the confidence to trust that what you’re feeling is real?
- How can you be sure that others at college - your professors, your classmates, the institution - will support you?
Session Five: Reflection.
- What have you learned about yourself and the way you approach new people?
- How will you (and who will you) ask for letter(s) of recommendation?
- Where will you ask for help or access new resources?
- How can we continue this community? What are your next steps and new questions?
- How does college fit into your life goals?