Thank you for agreeing to moderate a Whalen Symposium session. Moderators are critical to the overall success of the oral presentation sessions; your participation is greatly appreciated.
You will receive an email confirming your assignment; copies of the session's abstracts will be attached for your review. Please review the abstracts prior to your session. Abstracts can also be accessed in Sakai at Whalen Symposium - Resources – Student Abstracts.
Prior to your session:
Titles, names, and abstracts will also be available to you during the Symposium. A staff member assigned to each room will provide a folder including the abstracts of the research to be presented during your session.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the session starts in order to meet the timekeeper and session presenters. Take this opportunity to confirm the pronunciation of presenters' names.
- Ask presenters to load their presentation files on the PC.
- Remind each presenter of the time limit and the signals the timekeeper will use.
- If the timekeeper does not show up, then you will also be responsible for timing each presentation. (Bring a watch.) Pay attention to the timer’s signals helping to make sure the speakers end on time; standing up is usually a good way to stop the speaker.
- Just before the start of your session, welcome session attendees and communicate the approximate time for each presentation and that a Q&A period will follow. There will be a few exceptions to the standard presentation time; moderators will be notified accordingly.
- Introduce each speaker by announcing the name(s) and school(s) of the presenter(s) and the title of the presentation.
- At the end of each presentation, ask the audience for questions. If there are none, you may wish to ask:
- What got you involved in this research?
- How could this research be extended or adjusted?
- Do you plan to continue conducting research in this area?
- Initiate applause.
- Thank the speaker and invite the next presenter(s) to come to the front.
- If a presenter fails to show, move on to the next presenter.
- At the end of the session, thank all presenters and attendees.