Office of Teaching and Certification at IC
The Office of Teaching and Certification serves all teacher education students on campus with information on certification-related issues. The office also supports area mentor teachers by issuing tuition waivers and mentor teacher payments.
Applying for Teacher Certification in New York State: If you have graduated from a college teacher education degree program, you should use the "Approved New York State Program" route to certification.
Applications for certification must be submitted online using the process outlined below.
INITIAL TEACHER CERTIFICATION:
1. Complete a New York State registered bachelor’s degree or master's degree that leads to certification.
2. Attain passing scores on the required certification exams for your area. Only two tests can be taken on a single day. Test preparation guides and test registration information can be downloaded at www.nystce.nesinc.com .
3. DASA Workshop completion – required starting May 2014 in order for Ithaca College to recommend graduates for Initial or Professional NY State Teacher Certification.
4. No later than your sophomore year, set up a TEACH account by going online to the following website: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert Your first step would be to Self Register in order to create an account and to register with a username and password. After registering applicants will be able to access the TEACH program and their account through the "TEACH on-line service" button at the above web address and within the purple box in the top right. Once established, this account will house all of your certification information including test scores, fingerprint results, and certificates issued. Applicants should use full names and permanent addresses on all forms that you complete for certification including certification exams, fingerprinting, certification applications, and your TEACH account.
5. Fingerprinting/Criminal Background Clearance is required for NY State teacher certification. Using the directions in step 3, you should have already Self-Registered for your TEACH account. Individual appointments for fingerprinting can be made directly with Morpho Trust by contacting them at their website: www.identogo.com and clicking New York State on the map or by calling them at (877) 472-6915. The total cost is $102.00 (DCJS fee-$75, FBI fee-$14.75, Morpho Trust fee $12.25) which can be paid at the time the appointment is scheduled with a credit card or on-site at the time of the fingerprinting appointment with a check or cash only. For answers to detailed questions about this process, please visit our Fingerprinting Instructions FAQ document or contact Bonita Ferguson, Teacher Certification Specialist, at (607) 274-1488 or email@example.com.
6. COMPLETE THE ON-LINE CERTIFICATION APPLICATION AT http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert This should be done in the final month of your studies and before you leave campus at the completion of your studies. Please see below for step-by-step instructions.
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT APPLICANTS USE THE APPROPRIATE PROGRAM CODE DURING THE APPLICATION PROCESS. STUDENTS SHOULD USE THE PROGRAM CODE THAT APPLIES TO THEIR PARTICULAR DEGREE.
For an Initial Teaching Certificate:
Bachelor of Arts Degree
Art Education 27889
Biology (7-12) 23322
Chemistry (7-12) 23323
English (7-12) 23325
Math (7-12) 23329
Physics (7-12) 23331
Social Studies (7-12) 23330
Bachelor of Music Degree
Music Education 23333
Performance & Music Education 23334
Bachelor of Science Degree
Chemistry (7-12) 23324
Health Education Teaching 23319
Math-Computer Science (7-12) 23321
Physical Education Teaching 23320
Master of Arts in Teaching Degree - Initial and Professional Certification
Adolescence Education 7-12 30925
Master of Music Degree - Professional Certification
Music Education 29383
Master of Science Degree
Health Education 29558 (Professional Certification)
Music Education 29382 (Professional Certification)
Physical Education 29559 (Professional Certification)
Teaching Students with Speech & Lang. Disabilities or Speech Language Pathology with Teacher Certification 27719 (Initial and Professional Certification)
Childhood Education 31463 (Initial and Professional Certification)
TO APPLY FOR CERTIFICATION
Thoroughly read these instructions before beginning the application process to avoid making costly mistakes in the process.
AFTER LOGGING IN TO YOUR TEACH ACCOUNT:
Step 1. Create/update personal profile. This section contains your personal data and contact information. Keep all information current.
The applicant should enter their education in the following format:
Click in the radio button that states “Approved New York State Certification Programs: Select this radio button if you completed an approved program at a New York State institution that leads to a recommended teaching certificate.” Once you click this button, do not click any other options.
- Enter education information - If you are in a graduate program leading to initial certification, enter only the degree program leading to the certificate you are applying for; do not enter your undergraduate, non teaching degree.
- Institution: drop down list of New York State higher education institutions with teacher preparation programs - select Ithaca College from the list.
- Award Title: drop down list of awards associated with the chosen institution; select proper award title.
- Program: drop down list of programs available at the chosen institution and with the chosen award title; select appropriate program.
- Major: this is a generic list of common majors; identify the correct major
- Date Degree Received: enter date of graduation. Be exact here. This date must be accurate.
- Attended From: enter date education began (use 1st day of month you began studies)
- Attended To: enter graduation date
- Number of Credits: A close estimate will be adequate
- The teaching/employment section should only be completed when applying for Professional certificiation. Applicants should enter only paid teaching experience in schools. Do not enter work associated with courses, paid coaching, or volunteer experiences This category is primarily for those seeking professional certification after having taught successfully.
Step 2 - Fingerprinting - This is where you will actually apply and pay for NY State Department of Education fingerprinting & criminal background clearance. Refer to INITIAL CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS-Fingerprinting (#5) above for instructions about how to be fingerprinted if you haven't already completed this requirement.
Step 3 - Account Information - This section shows you the contents of your TEACH file. By using Ctrl key you can select all areas of information to see everything that is within your file.
Step 4 – Select Certificate(s)
This is where you choose your certificate type and title. You will choose from a series of 5 dynamically filtered dropdowns to arrive at the appropriate certificate for the program you completed. These dropdown menus are exactly the same as in Search Certification Requirements.
- You must select a certificate that is appropriate to the program you indicate in the self-reported education portion of the applicant profile.
- Select the radio button Pathway: Approved Teacher Preparation Program
- If you have completed a dual degree program, you may apply for more than one certificate in the same session
Step 5 – Sign Affidavit
Answer the child support and moral character questions here and then sign the affidavit. If you answer “yes” to any of the moral character questions, you must enter an explanation in the text box provided. Sign the affidavit by clicking on the button “Sign Affidavit.”
Step 6 – Sign Application
You will sign the application by clicking on the button “Sign Application” attesting that all statements and information provided in the application are true. Please note, up to this point (signing the application), the applicant may back-out of the application process – no certificate or affidavit information will be saved. After the application is signed, the application is saved and submitted.
Step 7 – Make Payment
In order to receive your teaching certificate quickly, it is recommended that a credit card be used for payment. Each certificate costs $50.00. Upon completing the payment process, TEACH will perform an automated evaluation and return a list of unmet requirements. You can print this out and use it to track your completion of unmet requirements.
We hope you find these ‘tips’ helpful and that you use them to assist you as you submit your recommendations. In the event you experience problems or have technical difficulties, TEACH provides technical support via email at TeachHelp@mail.nysed.gov and telephone at (518) 486-6041.
COLLEGE RECOMMENDATION: Once your degree has been posted by the Office of the Registrar at Ithaca College, we will submit the college recommendation. You can check the status of your application by going to the NYSED website at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert
If you have job interviews before your certificate arrives, the Office of Teaching and Certification is happy to provide you with an official letter stating that you have applied and been recommended for certification. Contact Bonita Ferguson in the Office of Teaching and Certification.
The initial certificate is valid for five years and may not be renewed. However, a one year extension is possible if you have completed 24 semester hours of approved graduate study.
- Complete three years of teaching, with the first year mentored.
- Complete a registered master’s degree (check with NYSED to make sure the program is applicable towards a professional certificate.)
- Apply for your professional certificate using the same online process outlined above.
All candidates for teaching certification are encouraged to be informed and to educate themselves regarding policies, procedures, and deadlines for certification. Information on certification in other states can be obtained from each state’s Department of Education website.