SPECIAL EVENT!Celebrating 15 Years of Intergenerational Achievement
JOIN US Wed., Oct. 29, 3-5 pm in Clark Lounge in the Ithaca College Campus Center to celebrate our 15th anniversary of the IC/Longview partnership!
Come see displays of partnership activities and talk with some of the students, faculty members, and Longview residents who participate each semester. Remarks and light refreshments are also included. Please stop by -- no RSVP necessary! Questions? Call 274-1965. For more information on the partnership, click on the Longview link on the left.
Ithaca College established the Gerontology Institute in 1992 to serve as a campus and community resource that promotes and supports research, curriculum development, community education, and community service activities in gerontology. The Institute offers a major and a minor in aging studies for undergraduates. As part of our mission to serve as a community resource, the Institute offers training for professionals in health and aging services through a number of internally funded and grant funded initiatives. Recent and ongoing projects include:
- the Ithaca College/Longview Partnership which has received national recognition for its intergenerational activities
- a Workshop Series held each semester focusing on practical and emerging topics of interest to active professionals
- Webinars for Ithaca College employees
- a Distinguished Speaker series
- Occasional Film Screenings
- research, scholarship, and service in the form of community surveys, published articles and presentations at state and national conferences on issues such as rural aging, housing, community-based services, and life quality
Students enrolled in our programs benefit from the diversity the Institute offers as well as the availability of the Institute's director and faculty members to answer questions regarding career options, graduate programs, travel opportunities, and much more.
KUDOS TO THE AGING STUDIES PROGRAM!
Assisted Living Today, a provider of free senior care news and information, has recently released its list of the “Top 20 College Courses for Geriatrics and Senior Care,” and Ithaca College's program made the list! You can see the full list here: http://assistedlivingtoday.com/2012/11/top-college-courses-for-senior-care/
The criteria used for selecting the top courses on the list include quantitative measures and metrics from a number of educational resources, as well as the company's own research coupled with the input of the senior living editorial staff at Assisted Living Today.