Finger Lakes Geriatric Education Center
FLGEC Training Opportunities:
- “Sorting Out the 3 “D’s”: Delirium, Dementia, Depression” A Workshop for Nurses and other health professionals. Presenter: Kay Viggiani, MS RN CS.
This workshop will help the professional learn how to sort through the subtle differences of the 3 D’s to help improve the older patient’s quality of life.
Upon completion of the program the participant will be able to:
1. Unravel the differences between dementia, delirium, and depression.
2. Identify and implement appropriate MSE (mental status exam) assessment tools.
3. Recognize and implement basic nursing interventions.
The Finger Lakes Geriatric Education Center of Upstate New York (FLGEC-UNY) is one of 45 currently-funded geriatric education centers in the nation. FLGEC's mission is to improve the health care delivered to older adults through enhanced geriatric education of health and allied health professionals. The members of this consortium include public and private health training programs in upstate New York anchored by the University of Rochester Medical Center. Besides the URMC and Ithaca College, other members include:
- SUNY Brockport, Center for Excellence in Gerontological Social Work
- New York Chiropractic College
- St. John Fisher College, Wegmans School of Pharmacy
The consortium approach capitalizes on the unique resources of the partnering institutions and acknowledges that a credible regional geriatric education effort surpasses the capability of any single institution. As an FLGEC member, Ithaca College's project focus is to provide training to professionals in rural central and western New York state. The IC Gerontology Institute works with community partners in the rural areas to identify training gaps and to plan and implement accessible and affordable training programs.