On Saturday, April 6, 2013, nine mathematics majors presented their research at the 20th annual Hudson River Undergraduate Mathematics Conference, held at Williams College. This is largest undergraduate mathematics conference in the U.S.
- Abby Lippitt '13, Refining the Model: Imposing Boundaries on Fractals (Mentor: David Brown)
- Angela Kramer '13 and Katie Ahrens '15, Properties of M-bonacci Sequences (Mentor: David Brown)
- Delani Cele '14, Describing and Understanding Fractional Derivatives (Mentor: Osman Yurekli)
- Jihyun Rachel Lee '14, Developing an Alternative Definition of Fractional Derivatives (Mentor: Osman Yurekli)
- Frank Conde '14, Generalizing Prime-Divisible Sequences (Mentor: Emilie Wiesner)
- Sam Reed '14, Wallpaper Groups applied to the Hexagonal Bead Pattern of a Bracelet (Mentor: Emilie Wiesner)
- Michael Griffith '14, Emergence of Figurate Numbers in Fibonacci-like Sequences (Mentor: Osman Yurekli)
- Iancu Dima '16, A Generalized Pascal's Triangle and Fibonacci-type Sequences (Mentor: Osman Yurekli)
Clarence F. Stevens Distinguished Teaching Award
Mathematical Association of America
On Saturday Dec 1, students from the Math Club, the Computer Science program, the Music program and the Childhood Education program hold a math day. Community members are invited to enjoy different mathematical activities and hands-on projects. This is an opportunity for young students and their families to explore different mathematical problems and to have fun doing mathematics.
Members of Ithaca College Math Club and Pi Mu Epsilon held a math night at Belle Sherman Elementary for students grades K - 5 on November 28th. They played a variety of math related games and puzzels, like marshmallow geometry and fruit snack graphing with the children to help them understand math can be fun! The two organizations also participated at the math day at Ithaca College on December 1st and ran some stations with math games, like tangrams and color-by-number. Both events were successful and the organizations plan on helping out at other math events in the spring semester.
Photos from the Awards Ceremony and Pi Mu Epsilon Induction. April 23, 2103.
© Copyright Ithaca College. All rights reserved; unauthorized use prohibited. All material on this server is produced by our community but, except for designated pages, is neither approved nor verified by Ithaca College.