Installation of New Equipment
User will be notified 30 days and 7 days in advance of the exact technology renewal install date.
Before the Installation
Users are asked to back-up all data on the hard drive of the computer being renewed prior to the install date. This can be done by saving the files to the college file servers, by burning the data to a portable storage device (CD, DVD, USB flash drive) or by saving the information to an external hard drive. External hard drives are available for this purpose as a short term loaner through the ITS Helpdesk. The ITS Helpdesk can also temporarily increase file server disk space as needed.
Remember, personal music, photos etc should not be stored on college-owned equipment.
During the Installation
On the day of the scheduled installation, the technicians will bring your new equipment and set it up in your office or lab. Plan to be available on this day for any computer or data related questions.
The techs will:
- backup and re-install browser bookmarks and favorites for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari web browsers
- backup local email and address book for either Thunderbird or OS X Mail whichever is appropriate for the operating system. If an email client is used that is not supported by ITS, it is your responsibility to back up that data.
- set-up the email client
- install specialty software as requested - the user must provide the installation media
- set up printers
- ensure that the new equipment is attached to the network
We need you to:
- Be available during the installation if possible
- If you are not available on the installation day, leave a note on the existing IC computer indicating that the data has been backed up or the computer will not be replaced.
- If a laptop is being renewed have the existing laptop and power adapter available on the day of installation indicated in this email.
After the Installation
If you have any questions after the installation, please call the ITS Helpdesk immediately. Shortly after new equipment installation, the old equipment is removed from campus and the hard drives are wiped clean by the leasing company.