7.6.1 Student-Athlete Code of Ethics
Student Athlete Code of Ethics --
Academic & Eligibility Guidelines --
Action for Student-Athletes -- Student-Athlete Health
Travel Regulations -- Locker, Equipment and
The purpose of intercollegiate athletics is to provide an opportunity for the participants to develop their potential as a skilled performer in an educational setting. Educational activities such as intercollegiate athletics provide opportunities for students to grow emotionally, socially, and intellectually. In addition, athletics gives the participants an opportunity to travel, represent their school, and learn the art of being a team member. Along with the privilege to participate in athletics comes the responsibility of complying with the policies of the program to include:
- Maintain habits which enhance personal health.
- Objectively acknowledge one's own strengths and weaknesses.
Recognize that each person has strengths and weaknesses. Work to
use the strengths and strengthen the weaknesses.
- Value one's personal integrity.
- Respect differing points-of-view.
- Strive for the highest degree of excellence.
- Abide by the spirit of the rules, as well as the letter of the
rules, throughout all games and practices.
- Uphold all standards and regulations expected of
- Treat all players, officials, and coaches with respect and
- Display good sportsmanship.
- Graciously accept constructive criticism.
- Respect and accept the decisions of the coach. When ethical
decisions may be questionable, the participant should direct
questions to the coach in private and follow appropriate channels
to voice concern.
- Be willing to train hard in order to achieve one's maximum
- Respect the achievements of opponents.
- Extend appreciation to those who have made the contest
- Be grateful for the opportunity afforded by the intercollegiate
athletics program and be willing to assist in program tasks as
evidence of your appreciation of the efforts of many people.
- Assist in promoting positive relations among all participants
who are striving to achieve athletic excellence.
- Exhibit dignity in manner and dress when representing one's
school both on and off the playing field.
- Respect the accomplishments of one's teammates.
- Recognize and value the contribution of each team member.
- Keep personal disagreements away from practices and
- Keep the importance of winning in perspective with regard to
- Contribute to the effort to make each practice a success.
- Exert maximum performance in all practices and games.
- Seek to know and understand one's teammates.
- Place primary responsibility to the team rather than to
- Refrain from partaking of drugs which would enhance performance
of, modify mood or behavior at any time during a season, unless
prescribed by a physician for medical reasons.
- Refrain from partaking of alcoholic beverages while
representing one's school.
- At no time should a student-athlete be involved in organized
gambling activities concerning intercollegiate athletic
competition; solicit a bet on any intercollegiate team, accept a
bet on any team representing the institution, or participate in any
gambling activity that involves intercollegiate athletics through a
bookmaker, a parlay care, or any other method employed by organized
crime. (Also refer to secton
7.6.3, "Disciplinary Action.")
- Hazing policy (refer to section 7.6.3, "Disciplinary
- Alcohol/Drug Policy (refer to section 7.6.3, "Disciplinary Action").
Last Updated: June 1, 2005