Requirements per Instrument
|Piano (Classical and Jazz)|
Undergraduate Audition Requirements:
- Performance (B.M.)
- Performance and Music Education (B.M.)
- Performance -- Collaborative Emphasis (B.M.)
- J. S. Bach: A prelude and fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier or three movements of a suite.
- A complete sonata by Beethoven (excluding op. 49), Schubert, or Mozart, or a Haydn sonata of comparable difficulty
- One large-scale (approximately 10 minutes) work or a group of shorter pieces from the 19th or 20th century representing lyrical and virtuoso styles
- All music is to be played from memory.
- For the collaborative emphasis program, an interview with the faculty conductor of the program is recommended.
- Composition (B.M.) -- audition only required for instrumental emphasis (private lesson) consideration
- Music (B.A.)
- Music Education (B.M.)
- Music in Combination with an Outside Field (B.M.)
- Sound Recording Technology (B.M.)
- Undeclared Music Major
- A work of J. S. Bach
- A movement from a sonata by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven
- A third work of comparable difficulty of the candidate's choice (no jazz, pop, or self-composed pieces)
- All music is to be played from memory.
- Jazz Studies (B.M.) -- All students must complete both a jazz and classical audition.
- Two works of contrasting styles from the classical repertory, at least one of which must be memorized
- All major scales from memory
- Be prepared to perform a blues selection, jazz standard, and ballad. Please choose selections from the provided list (below). For each selection, perform the head, comp for one chorus, solo for one chorus, return to the head, and end accordingly. Instrumental jazz studies applicants must also sing the melody of one of their prepared pieces.
Audition Information for Jazz Studies Majors
- Three contrasting pieces (no jazz, pop, or self-composed pieces)
- One piece to be played from memory
Graduate Audition Requirements:
- Performance (M.M.)
Candidates must exhibit the equivalent preparation to that required for the Bachelor of Music in Performance at Ithaca College and give evidence of being equipped to perform successful recitals during the period of study for the degree program.
Prepare the following for a 20-minute audition:
- A work by J.S. Bach
- A complete sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, or Schubert
- A work from the Romantic period
- A work from the 20th century (including the impressionistic period)
All works to be performed from memory.
- Performance (M.M) in COLLABORATIVE PIANO
Audition repertoire requirements:
1) Solo piece(s) of piano repertoire – memorized & totaling approx. 10 minutes of music;
2) Two movements from a major work for wind or string instrument and piano to be chosen from the following list*:
Franck: Sonata in A-major for violin and piano, movements 1 & 2
Beethoven: Sonata in F major, Op. 24 “Spring”
Brahms: Sonata in F-minor, Op. 120, No. 1, movements 1 & 2
Brahms: Sonata in E-minor, Op. 38
Prokofiev: Sonata in D Major, Op. 92, movements 3 & 4
3) Three (3) songs, one in each of the following languages, to be selected from the following*:
Brahms: Botschaft / Meine Liebe ist grun
Schubert: Ganymede / Liebesbotschaft
Schumann: Waldesgespræch / Mondnacht
Strauss: Allerseelen / Standchen
Wolf: Er ist’s / In dem Schatten meiner Locken
Debussy: Il pleure dans mon Coeur / C’est l’extase
Duparc: Phidyle / Chanson triste
Faure: Mandoline / Clair de lune
Barber: The Monk and his Cat / The Desire for Hermitage
Vaughan-Williams / The Vagabond; Roadside Fire
4) Operatic Aria: Choose one of the following*:
Bizet: Je dis que rien ne m’épouvante (Micaëla, Carmen)
Massenet: Je suis encore tout étourdie (Manon, Manon)
Mozart: In quail eccessi . . . Mi tradì (Donna Elvira, Don Giovanni)
Puccini: Si, mi chiamano Mimì (Mimì, La bohéme)
Stravinsky: Anne Truelove’s Aria and Cabaletta (The Rake’s Progress, Act I)
5) In addition to performance of the prepared repertoire, there will be a sight-reading component as well as an interview during the audition process. Applicants should bring a current repertoire list with them to the audition.
* Alternate selections may be allowed for the audition upon approval of the Director of the Collaborative Piano Program.
- Music Education (M.M., M.S.)
Prepare the following for a 15-minute audition:
- A work from the Baroque period
- A movement from a sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, or Schubert
- A work from the 19th or 20th century
At least two works to be performed from memory.