October 19 - October 21, 2017 (Trips TBA July 2017)
Adirondack Mountain Club
The Adirondack State Park comprises the largest state park in the United States. With more than 6 million acres of land under protection, it takes a lot of volunteers to keep established trails maintained. This event is coordinated by the Adirondack Mountain Club, and offers a "last" chance at grooming trails and public areas on the park before the long winter sets in. Students will participate in this event, camping at Heart Lake in Lake Placid, NY. This trip will also involve e opportunities to learn about stewardship, Leave No Trace outdoor ethics, and hike in the park. The total program fee is $75.00 USD, which covers all food, lodging, camping gear and transportation.
Students will have the opportunity to travel to Toronto, Canada, and volunteer with the organization Sistering, which offers practical and emotional support through programs which enable them to take greater control over their lives. Guided by the principles of Anti-Racism/Anti-Oppression, Sistering works to change social conditions which endanger women’s welfare. Students will help with a variety of projects, including kitchen help and meal preparation. The group will have time to explore Toronto in the afternoons after volunteer activities have concluded. The total program fee for this project is $75.00, and covers all lodging, transportation, food, and programmatic fees.
Become a Participant-Leader:
We select participant-leaders to help prepare and lead each of the AFB trips! PLs are responsible for the following:
- Lead an orientation session prior to departure
- Prepare one activity for the group's free day
- Conduct reflection sessions with participants, including the video reflection project
- Help provide leadership and direction during the trip
- Assist with driving (if able to drive IC vehicles)
- Share your experience in the Student Leadership Institute upon return
- Apply for this opportunity using the standard AFB application
*Application will open Monday, September 11, 2017 and remain open until trips are full*