The climbing wall officially opened in 2005 and has been the home for the climbing community ever since. We have four ropes: two on a vertical face, and two on a substantial overhang. Every semester, we host two events: one about mid-semester, and the other, an end-of-semester competition.
During open hours, we have 2-3 staff members on hand to work with participants of every ability level. Shoes, chalk, and harnesses are provided.
In addition to events, we will have belay certification lessons. Anyone who wishes to belay at the climbing wall MUST pass a belay certification test. More information on belay certifications is available here.
Ithaca College Climbing Wall Policies
- NO lead climbing during Climbing Wall hours
- All participants must sign Ithaca College’s LIABILITY RELEASE, WAIVER, DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE form before they can participate in any activities. Climbing is at the participant’s sole risk.
- Only those trained may belay. Belayers and climbers must follow ALL procedures covered in the training session or privileges may be revoked by the staff.
- Sandals, bare feet, or inappropriate shoes are strictly prohibited.
- Climbers must wear shirts.
- Ithaca College is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen articles.
- Participants must remove objects in the mouth (gum, candy, etc.) when climbing.
- Climbers must not make contact with the ceiling or the bolt hangers and hardware at the top of the climb.
- Any safety hazards and accidents, even minor ones, witnessed by participants, must be reported immediately to the staff
- Participants must abide by all Ithaca College Fitness Center policies.