HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|Julia L. Ryan|
|Dean's award for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology|
When I was a little girl, I was fascinated by communication and even came up with my own form of phonetic transcription. I had no idea that, 15 years later, this strange childhood habit would lead me to a field this challenging, important, and rewarding. As the daughter of two people who spent their college years in upstate New York, it seemed natural for this Colchester, Connecticut native to be drawn to someplace snowy to study. In my time at IC, I have explored, experienced, learned, grown, and, most importantly, developed what I value. I am excited to continue traveling, learning, and growing as a clinician and a global citizen in the future.
Before my first year, my father wished for me to remember that my college experience was not just about going to class. I took this to heart – in the best way – by taking advantage of many of the extracurricular opportunities offered by this community. I used these out-ofclass learning experiences to support and enhance my academic performance, to expand my worldview and lines of questioning. Through my experiences on IC’s campus with student organizations and offices, in the greater Ithaca area with volunteering, and abroad, I have gained a better understanding of myself and interactions with others, which will influence how I navigate making a difference in the lives of others with my life.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- Summer Orientation Leader 2012 & 2013, First-Year Experience
- Dublin, Ireland Study Abroad Spring 2013
- Big Brothers Big Sisters One-to-One Mentor
- Oracle & Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies
- Student Leadership Consultant, Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs
- Executive Director, Student Activities Board
- Urban Mentorship Initiative Mentor
- Peggy Ryan Williams Award for Academic and Community Leadership recipient
- Sigma Alpha Iota Professional Music Fraternity for Women, Epsilon Chapter
- National Student Speech-Language Hearing Association, active member
The Dean’s Award is given to the graduating seniors in each HSHP Department who have attained the highest academic achievement over the past four years. These students are the academic leaders and scholars of their departments.