HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|Ryan N. Wessels|
|Professional Excellence Award in Health Sciences - Premed Emphasis|
Living in the small rural town of Epsom, New Hampshire, I developed a natural propensity for helping others at a young age. It is that desire to help others that was the driving force that brought me to Ithaca College to pursue a degree in Health Sciences. Through promise and dedication I was able to excel in my studies which led to acquisition of several merit-based scholarships and induction into multiple honor societies. I plan to use the knowledge and experiences I attained in my four years at Ithaca College to continue on and become a physician assistant.
When looking back over the past four years, I have come to realize that I do not have one particular experience that defines my time here in Ithaca. However, I will never forget the friends that I have made both inside and outside of the classroom. I have developed a core group of friends that I consider to be family. It is through these friends that I have learned to appreciate the importance of having a support system because without them, I would have not been able to accomplish everything I have thus far.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- Dean’s List
- Oracle Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- George Textor Scholarship
- Laurence Hill & Adrian Newen’s Scholarship
- President’s Host Tour Guide
- Student Supervisor at Terrace Dining Hall
- Pharmacy Technician at Wegman’s Pharmacy
- Presented Live Free or Die: Initiative for the Decriminalization of Cannabis in New Hampshire at Whalen Symposium
- Co-Creator of Kick for a Kure: a kickball tournament with proceeds benefitting the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
The Professional Excellence Award is given to students who embody the long tradition of knowledge and achievement within the Department of Health Promotion and Physical Education.