Internships for Therapeutic Recreation Students
Therapeutic Recreation students who wish to complete an Advanced Fieldwork or Internship experience need to:
- Download and read the Therapeutic Recreation Internship Manual (29 pages) .
- Download the Application for Internship or Advanced Fieldwork Form and the GPA Calculator Spreadsheet. Follow the procedures for filling out the form and then submit this form to the RLS Internship Coordinator.
- Once approved, you will receive an e-mail requesting that you set up a meeting with the RLS Internship Coordinator.
- In consultation with your academic advisor and the RLS Internship Coordinator, begin researching potential sites.
- Once a site has been identified and approved by the RLS Internship Coordinator, download the TR Site Acceptance Form, fill in the necessary information, and then send the form to the site supervisor to complete.
- Once the RLS Internship Coordinator has received the site acceptance form from the site, they will notify you that you need to complete the TR Student Placement Form. Note that ALL information on this form (except for the signatures) must be typed.
- Once you are at your agency, please complete the Student Information Form and send it to your faculty internship supervisor by the end of the first week of your placement.
- Submit your midterm evaluation and final evaluation at the appropriate due dates.
If you have any questions about the procedures and/or forms, please contact the RLS Internship Coordinator.
The following courses are offered for Therapeutic Recreation Majors. You will need to indicate which course you will be registering for on the Student Placement Form.
- RLS 34800
- Permission of department chair
Internship in Recreation & Leisure Studies
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00
- Minimum GPA in RLS xxxxx courses of 2.50
- Minimum of 3.00 in RLS-24800 and RLS 34800
- Completion of at least 24 credits of required recreation courses (RLS xxxxx) and 6 credits of recreation electives
- Approval of department chair
RLS Internship Coordinator
Linda Heyne, Ph.D., CTRS
Office: 321B Smiddy Hall
RLS Administrative Assistant
Office: 321 Smiddy Hall