Jobs, Internships, and Opportunities
Internships are Key
A way to work, learn, and give back to the community. A way to increase your work experience. And a way to explore your options for a career or studies after graduation from Ithaca College. Internships and work experience are considered to be a vital part of the Department of Environmental Studies and Science that all students are encouraged to fit into their academic schedule either during a semester or over a summer term.
Forms for designing your internship:
Forms you and your internship supervisor will need to submit for evaluation and close-out of your internship:
Want to look at a convenient collection of national job listings? ENVS has just purchased a subscription to EnvironmentalCareer.com's "Green Job Seeker" newsletter. It's a fabulous resource for internships, research opps, job postings (from entry level to senior exec), career support, ideas for where your future might lie. A hard copy newspaper will arrive every other month and go to the Student Resource Room (Will 207), and you can access an on-line version at any time to look for inspiration and direction. If you'd like to view the online version and do not have the password, contact Carol Hansen.
On the hunt for a job/internship but don't know where to start? Look here for great postings on available positions, organizations and businesses to look into, and for a look at what's happening in the field!
IC has access to a massive internship search engine … http://www.internships.com/welcome/ithacacollege
Join these listservs to get updates about jobs in the environmental field:
Search engines for environmental-related jobs and internships:
indeed.com is a database to find a variety of jobs in all field of study
Organizations with their own internships and jobs:
http://www.oceans-campus.com/ The Oceans Campus offers a wide range of wildlife courses, designed to take passionate, enthusiastic gap year students, volunteers, Interns and travelers on life-changing journeys through South Africa’s amazing wildlife kingdom. See more at: http://www.oceans-campus.com/south-africa/courses/#sthash.6jw5xvT9.dpuf
www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm The National Science Foundation offers funded internships or REUs in a variety of fields including the natural, physical and social sciences.
www.thesca.org/ The Student Conservation Association offers expense-paid internships in conservation in national parks, marine sanctuaries, cultural landmarks all over the United States. An excellent stepping stone to federal agencies and organizations like the National Park Service, Forest Service, and U.S. Geological Survey.
www.serc.si.edu The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) Internship Program in Environmental Studies offers students an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the fields of environmental research and education, working on projects in terrestrial, atmospheric, and estuarine environmental research.
www.careers.nature.org The Nauture Conservancy offers jobs that are located in all 50 states and in more than thirty countries.
www.audubon.org (wings) Audubon Wings is an internship program for current students and recent graduates to help shape a healthy environment for the future of our birds.
www.careers-audubon.icims.com The National Audubon Society offers a variety of jobs that work within the environment and with human-environment connections that have a goal to better the planet.
http://www.usaconservation.org/ Volunteer with the American Conservation Experience, a non-profit conservation crops offering opportunities to take part in challenging outdoor projects in the National Parks, National Forests, and wilderness areas in the Western U.S.
www.ecologyproject.org/get_involved/volunteer/ Contribute to the growing body of knowledge surrounding conservation. by volunteering at their field sites in Costa Rica, Galapagos, Mexico, and Yellowstone.
Some internships from the Columbia student opportunties website...
Ecology and environmental studies
- The Student Conservation Association
- Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook NY. Ecology.
- University of Colorado Boulder, CO. Behavior, ecology, evolution.
- Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory, Crested Butte, CO. Field ecology..
- Point Reyes Bird Observatory, CA. Ornithology & field biology. No deadline, but best to apply early.
- Organization of Biological Field Stations. Lists field stations in US and overseas that are members of OBFS, many have summer programs (internships, courses, or volunteer work) in ecology and environmental studies.
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, Chesapeake Bay, MD. Environmental research and education.
- Environmental Careers Organization. Postings of nationwide internships in environmental fields.
- School for Field Studies. Summer internship after completion of BA/BS degree.
- Operation Wallacea Biodiversity, forest biology, marine sciences in Indonesia.
- Mote Marine Laboratories Research experience for undergraduates (REU)
- ACEER Foundation. An exploration of plant based medicines from the Amazon and Andes.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Summer student fellowships.
- SEE-U Black Rock Forest: 2.5 week long immersive introduction to ecology and field biology
- Steer - Center for Environmental Health Sciences
Marine Biology- Internships and Courses
- Shoals Marine Lab, Portsmouth NH. Marine science and ornithology courses and internships on Appledore Island.
- Mote Marine Laboratory, Sarasota, FL. Estuarine science in Charlotte Harbor.
- Boston University/Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA. Coastal bays of New England.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA. Marine biology.
- Marine Biological Laboratory, Summer interships. Woods Hole, MA. Marine biology.
- Marine Science Center (Northeastern U), Summer courses, near Boston.
- Shannon Point Marine Center, Puget Sound, WA. Marine sciences. Note additional Jan-June internship for minorities.
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Gloucester Point, VA. Marine biology.
- Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, ME. Marine biology.
- Center for Great Lakes Studies - UW-Milwaukee. Aquatic environments.
- Bermuda Biological Research Station. Marine biology courses and volunteer internships.
- Southampton College, Long Island, NY. Courses in whale and dolphin behavior in Australia.
- Blakely Island Field Station, (Seattle Pacific University). Courses in marine biology and ecology.
- SeaCamp, Big Pine Key, FL. Staff/intern positions may be available.
- Whitney Laboratory Marine Biology at the U. Florida. Summer research internships in cell, molecular & neurobiology
- Marineland Dolphin Conservation Center Internships.
- Marine Biomedicine Sciences Center and Environmental Sciences Center. Summer fellowships for undergraduates in marine biology.