Welcome to the First-Year Residential Experience (FYRE) Program at Ithaca College! FYRE provides a fun and engaging residential experience for the first year of college. As a first-year student in FYRE, you will have the opportunity to meet new people, attend enjoyable activities, connect with faculty, and learn about the Ithaca College community.
The Mission of FYRE is to provide a year-long intentional living-learning environment where first-year students will make a successful transition to the Ithaca College community.
FYRE Students will experience the following learning outcomes:
- Have meaningful interactions with peers, faculty, and staff in and outside of the classroom.
- Achieve academic success in the first year of college.
- Engage diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work.
- Understand how to lead healthy and sustainable lifestyles.
FYRE is located in:
- Boothroyd, Rowland, Tallcott, Hilliard, and Holmes Halls in the upper Quads
- East and West Towers
- FYRE halls are all within a short walk to three dining halls, Academic Enrichment Services Office, Library, Academic Quad, Residential Life Office, Campus Center, and the Fitness Center.
FYRE Expanded! Due to the growing popularity of FYRE, we are offering the FYRE program content to any first-year student who is interested, including first-year students living in mixed population halls (Hood, lower quads, and Terraces). If you are in a mixed hall and would like to participate, please let us know via email, FYRE@ithaca.edu. FYRE Peer Mentors will be meeting with small groups of first-year students to plan ICC theme programs and other social events.
There are many activities happening on a regular basis in FYRE so that you can meet new people and make the most of your new home! Be sure to check with your RA and look for upcoming events on bulletin boards, your bathroom "Stall-talk" newsletter, and your hall FYRE Facebook page.
Some typical FYRE social programs include:
- The Annual Amazing Race! FYRE Scavenger Hunt
- Opening Ithaca Football Game
- Video Game Marathons
- Trip to Ithaca Apple Festival
- Tie-dye event
- Ice cream socials
- Super Bowl Party
- Trip to College Town
- Ithaca Farmers Market
- Pumpkin Carving
- Snowball Semi-Formal
- Moving Up Day Ceremony in April
Academic Theme Programs: Another great way to connect with other students and your Faculty/Staff Associate is through academic theme programs in your residence hall. Your RA and Faculty/Staff Associate plan and implement a variety of theme events to provide a common experience around your chosen academic theme. Refer to the Academic Connections section in the menu for more information about the Integrative Core Curriculum and Academic Themes!