Each One Teach One
This page begins a working list of recommended readings and other resources to help stimulate thinking, conversation and learning about difference, race, identity, and inclusion.
These resources are offered in order to help employees learn through various mediums about respecting difference and improving behaviors toward diversity as well as to foster a spirit of camaraderie and cooperation. We hope that you will visit this site often and that you will make it a point to participate in some of the many enriching programs and events offered by departments across campus and in the greater Ithaca community.
We welcome you to send in your favorite diversity quote, book, article or other resource and it may be randomly featured in the Each One Teach One section of the Employee Relations and Diversity website.
Suggested Reading and Speeches
- Twelve Steps Toward Racial Harmony - Newsweek
- Where do we go from by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Friends & Family: True Stories of Gay America’s Straight Allies by Dan Woog
- Peering Behind the Curtain: Disability, Illness, and the Extraordinary body in Contemporary Theatre by Thomas Fahy
- For Success by Dondi Scumaci
- Ouch! That Stereotype Hurts: Communication Respectfully in a Diverse World by Leslie C. Aguilar
- Can We Talk About Race? by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Affirming Diversity by Sonia Nieto
- Courageous Conversations by Glenn Singleton and Curtis Linton
- We Can't Teach What We Don't Know by Gary Howard
- We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families--stories from Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch
- The Color of Water--A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride
- Living to Tell About It--Young Black Men in America Speak Their Piece by Darrell Dawsey
- Who Speaks for Wolf: A Native American Learning Story by Paula Underwood and Frank Howell (May 1991)
- The Price of the Ticket by James Baldwin
- Healing Racism In America by Nathan Rutstein
- Black Rage by William Grier and Price M. Cobbs
- Preventing Prejudice--A Guide for Counselors and Educators by Joseph Ponterotto and Paul B. Pedersen
- White Like Me by Tim Wise
- Deep in Our Hearts: Nine White Women in the Freedom Movement by Constance Curry et. al.
- Killing Rage: Ending Racism by bell hooks
- White-Washing Race: The Myth of a Color-Blind Society by Michael K. Brown, et. al.
- Workforce Diversity Network
- Minority Professional Network
- United to End Racism
- Diversity Web: Diversity Digest
- Democracy Now
- Diversity Web: Conferences & Papers
- Diversity Preparedness
- American Association of University Women
- NYU Diversity Resources
- Diversity Journal