Travel within the United States

Since September 11, 2001, a number of agencies have tightened the security requirements at US airports, bus terminals, and train stations. It is therefore essential that you carry your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, I-94 card, and College ID with you when you travel even if you are not crossing the US border. Please refer to the links on the left for useful information for travel within and outside the US, and do not hesitate to contact the Office of Int. Prog. if you have any travel-related questions.

Please keep in mind that if you decide to travel outside the US, you must have the following document in order to return to the US:

  • Valid unexpired passport (the expiry date must be *more than 6 months in the future)
  • Current unexpired F-1 visa stamp
  • I-20 signed for travel within the last 12 months (6 months for Canadian passport holders and students on OPT)

In addition, students on OPT who travel overseas should also carry:

  • Valid EAD (OPT card)
  • Job offer letter or letter confirming current employment

If you have any questions, please contact OIP before you depart the United States, so we can assist you.