Comparing study-abroad options
When looking at colleges, it's well worth considering the variety of study-abroad options available to you. Can you spend a full semester or more abroad? Are programs available worldwide? Do any of the programs help you ease into the host country's culture or will you be expected to fit in right from the start?
Take your time. Depending on the college, study-abroad programs can take place over
- A full academic year
- A single semester
- Shorter periods of time at the end of a semester, over the summer, or during winter or spring break
Find the right program format. You might see some of these options:
- Programs built around a particular major
- Programs that satisfy general education or elective requirements
- Foreign language programs designed for varying levels of proficiency
- Programs in English, even in countries where the primary language is not English
- Volunteer, internship, and research opportunities
Research, research, research. The Office of International Programs (OIP) at Ithaca College has a study-abroad library just for this purpose, with information on all the programs we offer. OIP also holds informational sessions during the first few weeks of each semester to help students learn more about the opportunities available.
But you don't have to wait until you're on campus to find out more. Take a look at our Study-Abroad Guide now to explore all your choices for studying abroad.