Publications and Webinars
- EDUCAUSE Learning Lab: Leading Digital Transformation at Your Institution - November - December 2020
Digital transformation (Dx) is more urgent now than ever. This seminar will help you understand what digital transformation can mean for higher education and what you can do to move the Dx needle at your institution. You’ll come away with a plan for developing a Dx roadmap for the first leg of your digital transformation journey that aligns institutional priorities with achievable digital transformation goals.
- Transform the Educational Experience Through Blended Learning - Presenter, Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (CICU) Webinar, November 12, 2020.
- Top 10 IT Issues 2020: The Drive to Digital Transformation Begins - EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2020
The EDUCAUSE 2020 Top 10 IT Issues describe the start of the higher education drive to digital transformation, as colleges and universities work to simplify, sustain, and innovate.
- Digital Transformation – Implications for Business and Technical Architects in Higher Education - Panelist, ITANA Webinar, January 10, 2020
- In Tandem - NACUBO Business Officer Magazine, March 2019
The analytics and IT teams at Ithaca College work as partners to help campus leaders make data-informed decisions to advance the college mission. Co-authored with Dr. Yuko Mulugetta.
- EDUCAUSE Live! Webinar: Digital Transformation in Higher Ed: What is it and Why Should You Care? - Webinar, November 8, 2018
Digital transformation (DX) is having a profound impact across all industries, but what does it mean for higher education? Join members of the EDUCAUSE Digital Transformation Task Force as they describe their efforts to understand what DX means for higher education and why institutions should be planning for change now.
- Top of Mind: What If? with Dave Weil - Tambellini Group Podcast, September 2018
Alex Freeman of the Tambellini Group sat down with Dave Weil, Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer of Ithaca College to discuss a workshop that he ran that examined possible future scenarios such as what if Alexa was connected to the ERP system? or what if ...
- EDUCAUSE Live! Webinar Encore! Findings from the Enterprise IT Summit 2018 - Webinar, May 15, 2018
The 2018 Enterprise IT Summit, a collaboration of EDUCAUSE, NACUBO, and AIR, focused on using information to drive meaningful change in higher education. In this webinar you will hear summit presenters discuss the best ideas and recommendations that emerged from the event and how you can turn those recommendations into actionable next steps at your institution.
- Tying It All Together: Integration iPaaS in the Next-Gen Enterprise - EDUCAUSE Review, February 14, 2018
The iPaaS model is emerging as a key technology in the move toward next-generation enterprise IT, allowing higher education institutions to better integrate, manage, and maintain services and applications on campus and in the cloud.
- EDUCAUSE Live! Webinar: The EDUCAUSE 2018 Top 10 IT Issues, Technologies, and Trends - Webinar, February 8, 2018
EDUCAUSE releases its research-based, member-driven Top 10 IT Issues, Top 10 Strategic Technologies, and Trends Watch reports annually. Collectively, these resources help members plan for the year and describe technology’s impact and opportunities to institutional leaders. Four CIO panelists who helped identify the top 10 IT issues for 2018 will join the webinar to reflect on their meaning and uses.
- Top 10 IT Issues 2018: The Remaking of Higher Education - EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2018
The 2018 Top 10 IT Issues show how digital technology is remaking higher education through four key themes: institutional adaptiveness, improved student outcomes, improved decision-making, and IT adaptiveness.
- Enterprise IT Perspectives on the 2018 Top 10 IT Issues - EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2018
IT systems in higher education house increasingly important institutional data across a growing complexity of systems and applications, requiring IT leaders to consider ways to integrate and leverage data as part of a mission-driven/client-centric approach to IT strategy.
- Enterprise Architecture Practices: A Holistic Approach for Planning Next Generation Services - EDUCAUSE Review, July 2017
Institutions often implement learning environments and IT platforms as separate efforts despite their commonalities. Holistic planning and thoughtful attention to IT enterprise architecture will be key to successful implementation of both the next generation digital learning environment and next generation enterprise IT.
- EDUCAUSE Live! Webinar: Helping Tie It All Together: Integration Platform as a Service as Part of the Next-Gen Enterprise - Webinar, August 24, 2017
Why would you consider integration platform as a service (iPaaS), and what can you look for in available options? This webinar will consider why iPaaS is an important addition to next-generation enterprise solutions. Focusing on strategic rather than technical aspects, we will take a look at how IPaaS plays into an overall strategy for integrating processes, applications, and services as well as the role it can play in enabling progress toward institutional goals.
- How to Succeed When Getting a New Supervisor: Tips and Resolutions - EDUCAUSE Professional Development BLOG, February 2016
With a refreshed perspective, you can not only survive the transition to working with a new supervisor, but also thrive and flourish.
Presentations and Seminars
- Digital Transformation: How to Know It When You See It - EDUCAUSE 2019 National Conference, October 15, 2019.
Does a new CRM lead to digital transformation (Dx)? It depends. Do online classes result in Dx? Maybe. Come to this session to hear from the EDUCAUSE Task Force on Dx about what makes a project transformational and how to move Dx work forward at your institution.
- Faculty Director, EDUCAUSE Institute Senior Director's Leadership Program, Salt Lake City, July 22 - 25, 2019 (Inaugural Program).
- Leading an IT Organization: Using Engagement to Change Culture - EDUCAUSE 2018 National Conference Senior Directors Seminar, Denver, CO, October 30, 2018.
- It takes a budget to build (and support) a space program - SIGUCCS National Conference, October 10, 2018
When reaching for the stars, one has to have a long-term strategy that includes a budget to support goals, and a replacement plan for critical infrastructure. How do IT department budget cycles fit into a school's overall financial cycle? What should be considered when developing a plan for planned replacement? How can IT departments work with the school's administration to get more funds? How can equipment and facility lifecycles be extended without degrading services? This panel discussion will address these questions by providing an overview of a school's fiscal cycle, how IT department budgets operate within that context, and strategies that can be used to advance the mission.
- Navigating Your Path to Leadership - SIGUCCS National Conference, October 8, 2018
No two paths to middle and senior leadership positions are exactly the same, but there are ways you can prepare yourself for a successful journey. During this interactive session we will explore topics such as thinking about your personal leadership style, preparing for the journey, thinking about different pathways to leadership, tips and discussions about the differences of being an internal vs. an external candidate, working with search firms, presenting yourself in writing, via phone, and during the interview, and lots more.
- The Power of Collaboration: Leveraging a Strong CIO/CAO Partnership to Advance Analytics at an Institution - EDUCAUSE Enterprise IT Summit, Orlando, FL, March 6, 2018
Enabling a data-driven decision making environment is a complex undertaking. Learn how a strong partnership between the CIO (chief information officer) and the CAO (chief analytics officer) has allowed Ithaca College to pave the way by focusing on the technology, data models, talent, and culture to enable a data-driven environment in a time of limited resources.
- What the Heck is Next Generation Enterprise IT? - EDUCAUSE 2017 National Conference, Philadelphia, PA, November 1, 2017
Issue #9 on the EDUCAUSE 2017 Top 10 IT issues list is next generation enterprise IT, defined as "developing and implementing enterprise IT applications, architectures, and sourcing strategies to achieve agility, scalability, cost-effectiveness, and effective analytics." But what does that mean for your institution? In this session, representatives from the Enterprise IT Advisory Committee will discuss the drivers for this issue, how it is changing the work of IT, and what you should be doing to move your institution into the next generation of enterprise IT.
- Personal Leadership - EDUCAUSE 2017 National Conference Senior Directors Seminar, Philadelphia, PA, October 31, 2017
- Collaborating to Enable a Data-Driven Environment: The Chief Information Officer + Chief Analytics Officer Partnership - EDUCAUSE 2017 National Conference Poster Session, Philadelphia, PA, November 2, 2017
Enabling a data-driven decision making environment is a complex undertaking. Learn how one institution leveraged a strong partnership between the CIO and the CAO to pave the way by focusing on the technology, data models, talent and culture to enable a data-driven environment in a time of limited resources.
- Congratulations! You are (or you are getting) a new leader: strategies to make the transition go smoothly from both sides of the desk - SIGUCCS 2016 national conference, Denver, CO, November 6-9, 2016
- Personalize…IT: The importance of speaking to both the head and the heart - EDUCAUSE 2016 National Conference Senior Directors Seminar, Anaheim, CA, October 25-28, 2016
- Finding your leadership style - EDUCAUSE 2016 National Conference Senior Directors Seminar, Anaheim, CA, October 25-28, 2016
- Four Cornerstones to Transforming an IT Organization to Meet Current and Future Challenges, - EDUCAUSE 2016 national conference, Anaheim, CA, October 25-28, 2016
Today's IT organization must be able to respond to current and future challenges facing IT and higher education. Learn how one institution transformed their IT operation by focusing on the four cornerstones of people, governance, strategy, and services, and created an innovative new organization and strategic plan in the process.
- Using Engagement to Transform, Reimagine, and Realign IT - EDUCAUSE 2016 National Conference Poster Session, Anaheim, CA, October 25-28, 2016
- Foundations: Enabling the Adoption of New Technologies on Campus - EDUCAUSE 2015 National Conference, Indianapolis, IN, October 29, 2015
New innovative and disruptive technologies are always on the horizon. Join us to learn about a collaborative framework that raises awareness about the importance of engaging the campus in establishing a strong set of foundational elements, which will allow an IT organization to more rapidly support new and emerging technologies.
- Aligning IT with the Institutional Mission: Finding the Right Balance (Run, Grow, Transform) - EDUCAUSE 2014 National Conference, Orlando, FL, September 30, 2014
In times of fast change and limited resources, achieving the right balance between operations and strategic activities that support the mission of the institution is always a challenge. Join us for an interactive discussion to share ideas and techniques on how IT organizations can strike the right balance between what Gartner refers to as Run (ongoing operations), Grow (incremental growth and improvements), and Transformational (transformative change) activities
- Foundations: Enabling the Adoption of Innovative and Disruptive Technologies on Campus - EDUCAUSE Connect: Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, May 1, 2014
New innovative and disruptive technologies are always on the horizon. While it is important to evaluate specific technologies for their appropriateness to the campus, the arguably more important task is to look at overall trends to identify what foundational enabling technologies, policies, organizational alignments, and skills we need to have in place to be best positioned to embrace them. This session will provide some background and examples, and then engage participants in a discussion to identify emerging technologies and the possible foundational elements that we should be putting in place to help enable them.
- Establishing a Foundation for Disruptive Technologies - Panel presentation, Ithaca College, October 24, 2013
Abstract: Can we identify underlying themes for "disruptive innovations" and then use those themes to help inform us about technologies and policies we should have in place to enable the easier adoption of these and other innovations?
- Making Time for the Strategic Initiatives: Exploring Ways to Obtain a Better Balance - EDUCAUSE 2013 Enterprise IT Leadership Conference, St. Louis, MO, April 18, 2013
Abstract: An IT organization must adjust the services it offers and how it provides them so that it can have the ability to focus on initiatives that help the institution address its strategic objectives and needed transformations. Join us for an interactive discussion to share ideas on how an IT organization might achieve a better balance between "operational" and "strategic" activities. Suggestions to be explored include service portfolios, service delivery models, IT governance, and departmental organization as well as using a "balanced scorecard" approach to categorize and define service delivery criteria.
- Implications for Outsourcing Technology on Student Policies - Cornell/EDUCAUSE Institute for Computer Policy and Law, Ithaca, NY, July 20, 2011
Abstract: An examination of some of the implications for student policies when you outsource a core technology service such as ResNet.
- Rethinking the Modern-Day Campus Portal - EDUCAUSE 2010 National Conference, Anaheim, CA, October 14, 2010
A modern campus portal can be used for a lot more than just accessing campus services. It can help bridge a person's on- and off-campus worlds, build community, and improve security. Using Ithaca's innovative myHome@ithaca portal as an example, we will discuss ways to rethink the campus portal.
- Developing a next-generation campus Web portal - EDUCAUSE 2009 National Conference, Denver, CO, November 3-6, 2009
The goal was to think "outside the box" to create a web portal environment to help bridge on- and off-campus worlds, improve access to resources, and allow community members to publish their own information portlets and collections. This presentation discusses what we came up with as a next-generation web portal.
- Outsourcing ResNet - EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference, Baltimore, MD, January 12-14, 2005
Providing ResNet services has become complex and expensive, from legal issues to virus outbreaks to bandwidth hogs. At Ithaca College the decision was made to outsource our ResNet operation for 4,400 students starting with the fall 2004 semester. This is an overview of our experiences and the issues we faced.
- EDUCAUSE Interviews
- EDUCAUSE Committee and other work
- AIR/EDUCAUSE Advisory Group on IT/IR (2019)
- IT Issues Panel (2017, 2019)
- Task Force on Digital Transformation (2018)
- Senior Directors Seminar - Faculty Member and Mentor (2014 - Present)
- Expert Panel on IT/IR Collaboration - Invited Panelist (October 2018)
- Concept Coach, EDUCAUSE Enterprise IT Summit (March 2018)
- Expert Panel on Next Generation Digital Environments– Invited Panelist (August 2017)
- Enterprise IT Working Group (2015 - 2017)
- 2014 National Conference Program Committee - Domain Chair, Leadership and Management Domain (2013 - 2014)
- 2011 Enterprise and Information Technology Conference Program Committee (2010 - 2011)
- Professional Development Advisory Committee (2006 - 2009)
- Security Task Force Policy and Legal Issues Working Group (2005 - 2009)