First Bomber Weekend is an effort to provide programming to our students during the long Labor Day Weekend (the first full weekend of the fall semester) that is not only substance free, but is aimed at familiarizing these students with each other, the IC Campus Community and the surrounding Ithaca area. The program has grown each year in terms of offerings and participation and we have added opportunities for upper year students to participate.
First Bomber Weekend is a tangible, strategic opportunity to act on the assessment provided by the Campus Climate Survey. Specifically, the activities address many of the issues students expressed when they indicated that they seriously considered leaving IC during their first year: lack of a sense of belonging; lack of social life; lack of support group; lack of support services; didn’t feel a sense of welcoming in the town of Ithaca.
- Chair: Samantha Stafford, Assistant Director of Residential Education and Assessment, Residential Life (email@example.com, ext 4-7040)
- Joelle Albertsman, Administrative Assistant, Residential Life
- Kevin Perry, Associate Director, New Student and Transition Programs
- Lynne Pierce, Associate Director, Engagement and Constituent Relations
- Brad Buchanan, Associate Director, Recreation Sports
- Tom Dunn, Lieutenant, Public Safety and Emergency Management
Membership is sought from other offices across campus including those noted below. Any interested staff members can also volunteer to serve on this committee.
- FYRE Residence Director
- Assistant Director for Staff and Programs in Residential Life
- Recreation Sports (currently represented by Brad Buchanan)
- Public Safety (currently represented by Tom Dunn)
- Religious and Spiritual Life
- Center for IDEAS
- LGBT Resource Center
- Office of Student Engagement
- Campus Center
- Honors program and/or other Academic departments
- Intercollegiate Athletics
- The CES Events Coordinator assigned to the program
- Engagement and Constituent Relations (currently represented by Lynne Pierce)
- Students Today Alumni Tomorrow student organization member
- Resident Assistant
Meeting times (if set)
Meetings will be scheduled based on committee availability.