* Ithaca College Faculty Excellence Award, 2019.
* Ithaca College Summer Research Grants: 2018, 2005, 2003, 2001, 1997, 1995, 1993; Small Grants: 1995-2001; 1992-93.
* State University of New York (SUNY) award to teach in the NY-St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition and Culture, St. Petersburg, Russia, 2013.
* Visiting Scholar, University of Utrecht, the Netherlands, Theology and Religious Studies Department and Gender Studies. October 24-November 1, 2009.
* Spinoza Chair in Philosophy, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Spring, 2008.
* Visiting Fellow, International Center for Islam and Pluralism (ICIP), Jakarta, Indonesia. June 16-July 3, 2005.
* Believing Women in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an (University of Texas Press, 2002; 2019) nominated for the Grawemeyer Award in Religion, 2019; 2009; 2005.
* Fellow, Oxford Roundtable, “The Role of the State in Religion,” Oxford, U.K., August 5-12, 2005.
* Fellow, Salzburg Seminar, “Strengthening Democracy and Governance: Women and Political Power,” Salzburg, Austria. 26 April- 3 May, 2004.
* Woman of Distinction, New York State, District: John R. Kuhl, Jr., 2003.
* Post-doctoral Fellowship, 1998-99, American Institute of Pakistan Studies (AIPS).