Here's the Gear You'll Need

Below is information on the equipment and computer requirements for all students majoring in Cinema and Photography (B.A.) and Film, Photography, and Visual Arts (B.F.A).

During your first year, you will be taking Introduction to Photography and Cinema Production 1.

For Introduction to Photography, you will need a digital single lens reflex (DSLR) cameraone that has the option of controlling the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO manually, and that can shoot in the uncompressed format "RAW" for Canon, or "NEF" for Nikon cameras. An example of a good quality entry level DSLR is the Nikon D3400, which Amazon.com offers, bundled with different lenses and accessories, in the $400700 range (Canon’s equivalent is the EOS Rebel T6i). Pentax and Olympus also offer moderately priced DSLRs in their product lines. Typically, entry level cameras will be outfitted with an 18 mm to 55 mm focal length lens. You do not need any other lens for Introduction to Photography. In fact, we recommend not purchasing additional lenses until you understand the advantages and limitations of the one that comes with the camera. Your camera kit might include a 32 GB or 64 GB Extreme Memory Card. If not, purchase one, and a spare. (If you are taking Introduction to Photography to fulfill the degree requirement and do not intend to take other photography courses, it is acceptable to borrow a DSLR for the semester from a friend or relative, provided it meets the specifications and you have continuous access to it.)

For Introduction to Photography, you will need to purchase approximately $100 of expendable items such as thumb drives and ink jet paper on which to print photographs. During the first week of classes, you will be given a detailed list of these items, along with recommended suppliers.

In upper-level photography courses, you will be working with digital and medium-and large-format cameras. These cameras may be borrowed from the Park Portable Equipment Center (PPEC), so there is no need to purchase them.

For Cinema Production 1, you will need to purchase a portable external storage device (500 GB minimum, 1 TB recommended) with USB 3 (not USB 2), approximately $100 (G-Tech, or WD My Passport recommended), which can be purchased at numerous stores. You will also need a supply of AA batteries, gels, memory cards, and other expendables.

You may also need to purchase and pay for processing one (1) roll of 16 mm film. Your professor will give you more info on this during the first week of classes.

Computer, Hardware, and Software Recommendations

The Park School provides access to up-to-date computers and associated peripherals for introductory through advanced level media production work. Students are not required to purchase a computer.

Although you do not have to own a computer for your media projects, many students nonetheless buy computers prior to coming to college. If you plan to make such a purchase, a general purpose laptop for writing, note taking, Internet access, file sharing, and e-mail will suffice. Such computers need not be top-of-the-line machines. PC or Apple platforms are both fine.

Incoming students should NOT purchase any software until they are at school since substantial discounts are available once enrolled at the college/university level.

Please note that students should NOT purchase any additional supplies without prior notice from their specific faculty member as each faculty member’s requirements are a bit different.