On the Verge (OTV) is a collaborative venture founded in 1993 by faculty members in English and Theatre Arts. OTV provides opportunities for students of dramatic literature to see and participate in staged readings of the plays they are studying in class.
Play Readings by On the Verge
- OTV faculty co-sponsors are Professors Claire Gleitman (English) and Kathleen Mulligan (Theatre Arts).
- OTV produces at least one staged reading each semester, selected from such courses as Dangerous Women in Dramatic Literature, Dramatic Literature I and II, and Modern and Contemporary American Drama.
- OTV staged readings are bare-bones productions: they receive just four or five rehearsals, and the actors perform their roles with their scripts in hand.
- Our casts include IC students, IC faculty members, and local professional actors.
- We collaborate with the New Voices Literary Festival each spring, producing a staged reading by the New Voices visiting playwright.
- OTV provides interdisciplinary and experiential opportunities for students, as they see plays they are studying in class move from page to stage, and as they collaborate with faculty members, other students, and community members in bringing them to life.