The Committee attempts to assure balance among schools, disciplines, areas of excellence, rank, and track when the diversity of well-rated proposals warrants doing so.
- at least one year of employment at Ithaca College (employment need not be continuous)
- full-time, full-time contingent, part-time contingent, or adjunct faculty member during the current 2020-21 academic year
- any rank (adjunct, lecturer, instructor, assistant, associate, or full professor) and any track (tenure, tenure eligible, NTEN, or contingent)
- Not have received the award within the past 5 years
The foremost criterion for the Excellence Awards is an overall excellence during their time at Ithaca College in the responsibilities of a faculty member’s specific appointment including teaching, scholarship, service and/or professional activity.
- Teaching: Teaching excellence remains at the heart of our institution. Excellent teaching is consistent and sustained. The Committee recognize pedagogies vary from discipline to discipline and school to school. Diversity and inclusion are considered essential components of teaching excellence and enriches our campus.
- Scholarship: Ithaca College and the Center for Faculty Excellence recognize many forms of excellence regarding scholarly work. The Boyer Model is one model used to embrace various forms of quality scholarship including but not limited to scholarship of discovery, integration, application, teaching, and artistic endeavor.
- Service: Service is also recognized on many levels including service to the department, school, college, profession, and community.
- Professional Activity: Continued professional experience and engagement generates valuable insight and relevance to the classroom. Professional activity expands the awareness of Ithaca College and promotes the quality and value of our institution to a broad community.
Descriptions of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service are stated in the Ithaca College Policy Manual, Volume IV: Faculty Handbook section 4.12.7.
Other Areas of Distinction:
Candidates should be able to demonstrate distinction specific to their appointment requirements (or beyond if appropriate) reflecting excellence in those area(s). Areas of distinction could also include, but are not limited to:
- Diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Innovations in teaching
- Experiential learning initiatives
- Sustainability initiatives
- Effectively incorporating scholarship and/or practice into the classroom
- Bringing regional or national recognition to Ithaca College
- Showcasing aesthetic expression at Ithaca College (through performance, direction, exhibition, or other ways of expression)
Faculty Excellence Award Submission Requirements:
It is the responsibility of the nominator (student, faculty, administrator/staff member) to ensure all required documents are submitted on the submission site. A student nominator, however, may request that this responsibility be given to a faculty member or administrator/staff member. Please note, the nominator (student, faculty, administrator/staff member) is responsible for providing both letters of support at the time of the submission. Self-nominations are not eligible.
FEA Submission Site: Complete basic information and upload documents. This includes:
- Two Letters of Support (not to exceed 2 pages, 12 pt. font, single spaced; specific examples to highlight nominee’s accomplishments are encouraged). The letters must be from two separate individuals who support the recommendation of the nominee for an excellence award. These can include but are not limited to an IC faculty member, student, administrator, staff member, alumnus/a, or external colleague. *Note, only one letter can come from a student, however multiple students can contribute and sign that letter.
- Department Chair Checklist: (To be completed by the nominee’s chair or in cases where the chair is being nominated, an assistant, associate or full dean from the appropriate school. The Chair/Dean is not permitted to write a supporting letter, however is required to complete this checklist)
Previous Nominations: Any former nominators of candidates for an excellence award from previous year could resubmit the application, but should be sure to update materials and follow the guidelines in this document. Award recipients from the past five years are not eligible for a nomination in this cycle.
Reviewers: Nominations will be reviewed by the Faculty Development Committee. Reviewers are ineligible for these awards and may neither nominate nor write in support of a candidate. No more than 2 support letters, and the department chair checklist will be reviewed by Faculty Development Committee. The awardees will be recognized, due to health and safety protocols, an in-person luncheon will not be held this year. Details of an alternative recognition process will be forthcoming.